God*&%$, Mother%^&$#@! &^%$#@ Swingarm

ChopperRobb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok...how the %$#@ do you get the stupid *&^% swingarm bushings out of the ^%$# swingarm? Mine are officially shredded inside and still won't come out? (this is why all you guys are hardtailing them, huh?) As you can tell I've been working on this all night and am at the point of setting fire to it to cook them out...

Here's how I did it. Hammer off the brim of the hat. Drive a good-sized nail down between the metal and the plastic. The plastic split enough that I was able to pull it out with a hook. Some people torch them, I remember.

If I were going to break them out I would cut some relief grooves with a hack saw blade.
Heated with a propane torch till soft they pull out with pliers easily. They do catch fire but.....oh well.

Mine were stuck. Hack-sawed in several places around the bush until i just touched the metal at the lip on the outside and where the bushes seat in the tube. Using a small screwdriver, (being careful i didn't gouge groves in the metal), levered out the bush. It broke up and come out quite easy.

take your time with the hack-saw

I used the hacksaw method on one and it worked well, the other one I just heated it and drove it out with a long punch.

Thanks all... I ended up using the hacksaw method with a screwdriver carefully. Thanks for the input and advise.

Back