Goldwing

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just found this video on youtube called "Steve Saunders Goldwing engine removal". Good video. This guy is showing all the steps to engine removal on a GL 1200 Goldwing, which is required to replace a stator. Man what an ordeal removing one of those engines. If I had a Goldwing I would hope the stator wouldn't go south because that would be a chore getting that engine out or probably very costly having someone else do it.
jefft

Did you ever get it all back together and running? I like the older goldwings and I see some pretty nice low mile pampered ones once in a while. I would be a little scared of getting one on the verge of needing a stator replaced. Seems like they would have engineered that a little better.
jefft

Yeah, I was a Honda mechanic in the `70s, south central Texas, brutal summers, abusive owners, warranty jobs on crank and clutch. Did a few carb mods on those, opened-up pilot jets to improve off-idle performance. Wonder how many of those early models are still around and stumbling...

I had a 84 GL1200....buddy has an 86 GL1200. My stator never gave me any trouble....but his did last year.

Local mechanic charged $700 total (parts and labor) for new stator and regulator.....said the parts were about $350.....the labor about $350.

He charges $40 an hour.....so works out to be about 8 or 9 hours labor to pull the motor, swap the shit and put her back together.

Not the end of the world.......

Same mechanic charged me 3 hrs ($120) to pull the motor on my XS, swap 5th gear and put it back together....I thought that was VERY reasonable.

Yes, I would have thought the gold wing engine pull would have cost a lot more than that.
jefft

Well I believe (and tell him all the time) he is grossly undervaluing his labor.....everyone around here charges $80 to $100 an hour.....hes charging $40.

He finally did raise his rates beginning this month to $45 an hour......and he was apologizing that he had to do it.....lol.

Its hard to find a good mechanic that works for a reasonable amount....I dont think Ive ever seen him with an empty work bench.

I used to have a sign in the office:

Labor rates: $8.00 per hour
If you watch: $15.00 per hour
If you help: $25.00 per hour

Prices sure have changed since then....

at 45$ if he dont have much overhead he may still be makin 20$ per hour.thats not a bad wage unless your in california.what folks dont realize is a 3 hr job sumtimes takes 6 hrs and a 6 hr job sumtimes takes 3 hrs.yu have to price to account for the ones with the broke off bolts and and the times yu have to go thru the carbs twice.im surprised he charging so little.

Back