Good book

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
Appologies if this is posted in the wrong place or has been posted before. I came across this book through a link on a Royal Enfield forum I follow and ordered it. If you enjoy working on old (74 and earlier) bikes or just have an interest in the early days of biking you will enjoy this book. It's more than just fixing bikes, it covers a lot of history and also the decline of the British biking industry and conversly the rise of the Japanese industry. It even tells you how to ride. It's a reproduction of the latest printing (1974) and of high quality. Lots of Harley coverage. It's a large book with a lot of charts, graphs, drawings, and pictures. A real trip through time. And no, I'm not the author or distributor.

http://modernmotorcyclemechanics.com/book_info.php

I'd be interested to know what you think of it! I may be way off base I think it's a great book but I'm 72 and for me it's a trip down memory lane. The author instructed dispatch riders in ww2 in Canada and I think England. The book about the author is also good but probably of more interest to Canadians.

Edit: The fellow distributing the book has a nice website with pages of old bikes and cars. I think most members here would find it interesting, I think you can get to it from the link I posted. Again, I have no part in selling anything just an interest in anything old especially bikes.

Last edited:
While we're on the book kick, I picked up Shop Class as Soulcraft in the airport bookstore for some traveling reads, recently. Anyway, it's more of a philosophy book, kind of a more modern Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, than a history read. The author investigates the decline of American culture during the post-industrial era, the value of work, wrenching on motorcycles, caring for machines, and how it relates to society as a whole. He can be a bit preachy at times but it is overall a great read that gave me an even more focused appreciation for the value and power of tangible work.

Back