Good Buy for 2 Bikes?

txaggie929

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

New guy here. Long been a fan of the XS650's but haven't had the time or found the right one to mod yet.

Anyways, came across a possible 2 bike deal today. Here's the info that the owner sent me:

I've got 2 frames and engines only one with title, non titled frame is cut (1981), the titled frame is a '75 with tapered bearings in the neck and '81 forks on it, the swingarm has been upgraded with needle bearings. the fork sliders, frame swingarm and ALL external engine pieces have been powdercoated, but the engine has not been reassembled the parts are still wrapped in plastic from the powdercoater. the frame, swingarm, forks and cylinders are semi gloss black, the heads, cases and covers are titanium gold. the fuel tanks have not been painted, both are from '81 or '82 specials. there are New in box pistons w/ rings fitted to freshly machined cylinders. there is only one seat pan ('75) that has an incorrect cover.

The 75 engine is in pieces but ready for reassembly and the 1981 engine has not been torn down. He also has one set of spoke wheels and one set of cast wheels.

He's asking $2500 for the whole deal. Should I pull the trigger???

Any input would be appreciated!!!

I wouldn't spend that. I have bought 6 over the last 3 years and they wouldn't add up to half that. Although, they were rough, real rough. For $2500 I'd buy a nice running bike or pick up a cheaper project because I always spend to much fixing them.

Well, I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area. Seems that everybody figures their bikes whether new, used, or trashed, are made out of gold. Cheapest running XS650 I have come across up here is $1650 in OK condition.

The only reason I was asking about this is that this would allow me best of both worlds - to build a tracker and a bobber in one purchase.

But yeah, I'm starting to think $2500 for only one titled bike that's complete engine is in pieces is a little high.

I think he also said he has an exhaust too.

He claims he's got $3K tied up in the whole package and needs $2500 out of it - says its been sitting for the past couple of years and he has moved on to other projects.

What would one of you offer this guy for the whole package?

The only new parts are tapered bearings and pistons/bored cylinders. I'll sell you a sweet, clean, titled, running 81 Special for $1500, and GIVE you an untitled frame and a bunch of stock parts-seats, tanks etc. Throw in a couple of motors for $100 each.

John

Hooktool If I lived closer I'd take you up on the untitled frame deal ... I don't need a title here in Maine just a decent frame and motor to build ... I'm keeping my 82 fairly stock but want to build a chopper ... most people around here think their xs's are gold or even platinum for that matter

The only new parts are tapered bearings and pistons/bored cylinders. I'll sell you a sweet, clean, titled, running 81 Special for $1500, and GIVE you an untitled frame and a bunch of stock parts-seats, tanks etc. Throw in a couple of motors for $100 each.

John

John, if you were closer to Texas, I would probably take you up on that. But shipping that stuff would be well over $600. And unfortunately, I'm not planning on coming to TN anytime soon.

I agree. That's way too much for what is really just a pile of parts, and a title. It shouldn't matter what he's got into it. That's his problem, not yours. For $2500, you can get a VERY nice runner. BTW, John, I should come down and get some of these non-titled bikes. In NH, I don't need a title, just a bill of sale. Now, I just need money.

Around here for 2500$ it better be ready to ride with a full tank of gas and show quality.
IMO any bike that is disassembled isn't really a bike but just a bunch of parts - basket case. You never really know if it's complete until you put it together.

What would one of you offer this guy for the whole package?[/QUOTE]

Offer him $800. When he says "no way" Give him a slip of paper with your name and phone number on it. Tell him if he changes his mind to call you. Then walk away. Chances are after a week your phone will be ringing. If not you lost nothing.......... BG

yup way too much. Often times a polite way to get around to your offer price is to say yeah I could see how you have that much tied up in it and I bet if you sold it off piece by piece on ebay 2 weeks per piece, packing and shipping each one you could get your money back. but I would show up with a truck and load it all up and pay cash. But straight up there will be a million little pieces missing (just trust me on this) and you will still need to find a complete still assembled bike as a parts horse. So I doubt this deal is for you. Leave it for the guy with a shed full of XS650 stuff already.

Its not that far, really. Get in your truck and drive til you get here. Load stuff, go home. I'm driving to FL next week, Peoria the next week, and Vancouver , BC, Portland, Seattle, Houston, Tulsa in March. NYC in April, though I may fly there. I nearly cried in the Holland Tunnel once. :D

John

Thanks for all the input everybody. I'll probably offer him $800-1000 as it sits, and that's it. If he takes it, great, if not, oh well. If it's been sitting there for a couple years untouched, apparently he's not hurting too bad for the cash.

You'll need a ton more parts to make it a runner; time-consuming and expensive. Talk Hooktool down to $1000, and then go pick it up. If you can catch him in town, that is.

So you're coming to Houston relatively soon? Probably means you'd be passing through Dallas. Hmmm.....

Back