Good First TIG Rig?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn to TIG for a while, for basic fabrication on motorcycle accessories. Etc. You know. That stuff. Sheet metal, tubing, etc. Fenders, tanks, handlebars.

Aluminum and steel.

I'm currently limited to a 120v circuit, but I'd like to think I'll be able to get a 220 line somewhere in my next apt.

Doing some browsing, this looks like it might be an ideal starting rig, as there's one for sale locally:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/maxstar_200_str/

What do y'all think? Opinions? Advice? Also, what accessories (inc. estimated cost) will I need to get going?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Adam

Adam -- I am in the same position you are. I'm loyal to Miller and looked at the Diversion 180 and almost bought it. I/we (friends) went in and bought the Eastwood TIG200 and have been really happy with it. I posted a review and folks thought I was in cahoots with Eastwood so I just left it at that. I run it on 120v 20 Amps all day long... _MC6_

Here is my killer duck bird metal art creation...

tumblr_lk2kijIWOk1qj6hhgo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Gas w/ bottle was about 150. I bought 10 lbs of 1/8" and 3/32" filler rod in tubes and matching tungsten electrodes for about 70.00 . HTH

Technically the Maxstar is a power supply.Yeah, i'd go with the diversion 180. You want a machine that can weld AC and DC. The machine you showed is only DC. To weld aluminum, you'll want AC.

you are looking for a ac/dc machine with high freq if you want to weld aluminum. the high frequency is what keeps the arc established as it alternates between dc- and dc+ the only reason you run dc with aluminum is to ball your tungsten. hope that helps some

I have a Lincoln 175 square wave tig unit and am well satisfied with it. I've had it for 8 years and according to the guys at Air Gas, I should have bought a heavier unit but it has taken my abuse. I don't remember what I paid, I'm guessing $2000 w/gas bottle. It's 220 vac.

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm going out to the garage to work on stuff for a few hours, I'll definitely be checking if I have a 20amp breaker! (prob not)

You know --- I sound like a commercial for David Bird, but I bought both of his DVDs on MIG/TIG and they are pretty good. I have watched them countless times b/c it's better than anything on TV...

Back