Got 'er running!

hogtyed

Paul
Reaction score
So I purchased a '79 that hadn't ran since '93. I ordered some parts off of Mikes. I should have read a bit more on here, but nothing beats an education based upon bad decisions. I've learned my lesson. I purchased a gas cap seal. It lasted just slightly longer than Styrofoam would have. I put gas in Friday night and this is what it looked like Sunday when I pulled it and replaced it with the T-Stat gasket that was recommended on a thread.

And now my right side petcock is leaking. Oy vey. But the bike is running! And since I'm used to priming the tickler on a Triumph when starting, the smell of gas on my hands seems, well normal. :)

20160919_192316_1474340906260.jpg 20160919_192337_1474340906039.jpg

that's disappointing, as I bought the same one but have yet to use it... Noticed in your pics that it seems that it is torn/ripped... is that from handling or exposure to the fuel... I would have expected it to swell or react to the fuel but not tear.

It's not from handling. You can feel how the fuel made it very weak. I opened the tank Saturday morning and there was a small chunk missing and you could tell it was getting fragile. Sunday I added filled it at the station. It was tearing in the 2nd spot. I put 50 miles on it during the day. I opened it back up Sunday night and the 2nd chuck was missing. I took it off Sunday and purchased the T-stat gasket Monday. It's very soft and the gasket that was exposed to the fuel just wanted to tear.

T-Stat

My next purchase will be this http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-2M0-24641-00-00.html

First congrats on getting your bike running and some miles in before winter.
Second you don't like the o-ring fix for a particular reason? Or you just want the correct gasket?

First congrats on getting your bike running and some miles in before winter.
Second you don't like the o-ring fix for a particular reason? Or you just want the correct gasket?
The T-Stat gasket seemed to be getting soft. I'll spend the $30 for the correct one. I have to look at it closer because it doesn't seem to be venting properly.

FWIW, and since I bought the same seal, I did contact Mikes XS regarding the seal material and they confirmed that it is BUTYL, which is again disappointing, as a simple chemical compatibility search would show that BUTYL is not compatible with gasoline.

What’s even more disappointing is that they’ve already gone through the effort to tool up to produce a seal that seems to have the right fit and function… a simple material change would probably turn this into a decent product.

Mikes XS gas seal.JPG

It is interesting that they claim to sell "hundreds" with no problem.
They said the same when they shipped me external snap ring pliers as internal snap ring pliers.
Then went on to say maybe I didn't know how to correctly use the tool.
But would refund my purchase price (only) if I shipped it back on my dime.

Back