Got My Rotor Puller (Now What?)

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rotor puller arrived today. I'm not 100% certain how this is supposed to come off now. If you look at my picture below I have labeled the items as follows:
Rotor
rotor puller (1) - for the large "socket" that threads on
rotor puller (2) - the threaded insert to the "socket"

I see that a 1" wrench will fit on the "socket". Do I just use the 1" wrench on the "socket" and an impact gun with a 17mm socket and keep torquing the rotor puller (2) in the clockwise direction?

Also, do I need to remove the 17mm nut before removing the rotor? It doesn't look like I need to but just wanted to verify. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20110706_153529.jpg
    IMG_20110706_153529.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 103
Thanks James. That was easy enough.

Now the next question...I have the rotor in hand. Do I need to have it pressed apart so I can have it rewound?

Gosh I'm electrically retarted.

nope, just send it out in one piece. Why not do the pma swap? I lost all respect for my stock charging system when it crapped out on me in the middle of what would have been an awesome road trip.

I'm sticking with stock to keep the cost down (rewinding vs. just buying a re-manufactured rotor). I'm planning to take the rotor to a local shop and see if they can rewind it. I'm heading there tomorrow to check. They are less than a mile from me right here in town.

Oh yeah, one more thing...if I get lucky and they can rewind the rotor...is the target resistance from slip ring to slip ring 5 ohms? I recall reading that there is something like 325 feet of wire in these rotors and a target resistance.

Looks like there should be a key between the rotor and the shaft it goes on. I'm not seeing a key anywhere. I'm 99.99% certain it wasn't there when I took the rotor off. However, that last 0.01% has me worried that I dropped it and can't see it around the bike. I checked the online parts manual and it isn't shown at all.

Suggestions?

Edit: Found it. Can't believe I didn't see it.

Last edited:
Back