Governor and breaker assembly removal

bloglos

XS650
Reaction score
Hi folks, Quick question, I'm starting a rebuild on a 77 D and I'm running through the Governor and breaker assembly removal from the FSM. I'm stumped, I've removed the lock nut holding the plate on, but for the life of me I can't pull the plate off. Am I missing something, I'm assuming it's not threaded on? I've included a picture. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 120
It's not threaded, it's rusted on probably because it's never been off since the factory put it there. Penetrating oil, a little heat maybe, and careful prying around the edges should get it off. Apply some anti-seize to the cam stub before putting the unit back on so it won't seize up on there again. Mine was a bit tough coming off about 5 years ago when I was doing my rebuild. I just pulled it again last week and it slid right off. Here's what you're dealing with. The threads are for that ring you removed. The first step is where the advance unit sits - no threads. You can still see remnants of the copper anti-seize I applied 5 years ago. I renewed the anti-seize application before sticking the unit back on .....

GreaseGrooves.jpg

Back