Governor C clip

Sequim

Sequim
Reaction score
My governor wings were sticking so I removed the C clip in the normal fashion - push back with a pliers - in order to remove the wings to grease the pins. Now one of the c-clips is loose and I must have stretched it open. Does anyone have a source for these clips or has a couple laying around? Local stores here either don't have any at all, or have only standard sized ones that don't maintain full contact to the pin but are slightly stretched open. There is no part number shown on the manuals.
Likely you are supposed to pry these backwards with a small screwdriver.

light squeeze with a pair of pliers (off the pin) will tighten it up, think they are standard 3 or 4mm E-clips any good auto supply should have them if you want new ones

light squeeze with a pair of pliers (off the pin) will tighten it up, think they are standard 3 or 4mm E-clips any good auto supply should have them if you want new ones

WOW! You sent me down a completely different plan that I expected with even better results! Googling 4 mm E clip popped up that the VW bug's used the 4mm e-clip on the speedometer cable attachment to the front wheel bearing cap. Of which I had in a different drawer as I restored a 72 for my daughter and bought a few extra clips thinking I'd lose one someday. They fit like a glove. The clips are stronger than the standard sized one that I got locally at the Co-op store. ORielly, Home Depot didn't have any locally. For what it's worth these clips are for sale individually on many VW air-cooled sites like Wolfsburg West ($0.35 each). Thanks!

Back