"Gravel Road Special" from Finland

pekka

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is my '79 (or '80, not really sure...) XS650 built for riding the back roads. It started life as a US Custom / Special model. Then it was a bobber for one summer and now has turned into a "Gravel Road Special". This is actually the third version of this bike I have built so far. All work and fabrication done by me (excluding lathe and powder coat).

Today I took it out for the first time this spring. 70km test ride with zero problems! Pictures taken by a lake that was used for ice road racing in the winter. Still a bit chilly here but it's just a matter of wearing enough clothes...

Mods include:
  • De-tabbed and powder coated frame
  • Shortened rear loop
  • New seat
  • Husqvarna WR tank with new tunnel and mounts
  • RD400 rear wheel
  • FJ/Ducati/whatever front disk
  • 10mm Front master cylinder
  • Harley front fender
  • New exhaust with Emgo Shorty mufflers and DIY baffles (still experimenting...)
  • Relocated footpegs
  • LSL Flat-track handlebars
  • Airbox (also houses battery and electronics, in the pictures the box has a temporary cover...)
  • Pipercross foam filters
  • GM HEI ignition with Toyota reluctor and pickup
  • Automotive regulator (actually charges the battery at idle...)
  • Rectifier using two bridge rectifiers
  • New chainguard
  • 520 chain and sprockets
  • Rebuilt forks with new springs
  • Hagon rear shocks
  • Bates style front and rear light
  • Stock motor with lapped valves, mild porting and "new" gearbox
  • Ultrasonic cleaned carbs and new jets

Any questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for the great forum with lots of great info!

Pekka

WP_20130430_002.jpg

WP_20130430_003.jpg

WP_20130430_010.jpg

WP_20130430_012.jpg

Hey pecca, welcome to the forum.

That bike would be perfect for out here in Texas hill country, could round-up cattle, check fence lines, chase off wild javelina.

I'd like to hear more on your 'automotive regulator'. Thanx...

Thanks for the comments!

It must be serious fun to ride on those roads whith those tires! Is that tank made of aluminum?

The tires are TKC80. 120/90-18 at the back and 110/100-19 at the front. They indeed have nice grip and the rear digs a nice groove to the road when twisting the throttle :D

Tank is steel. It was a badly rusted 1979 Husky WR tank I got from local "gragslists". Cut open, sandbalsted, made a new tunnel and added a Harley petcock. Considerable amount of time and effort was wasted on the crappy paint. At some point I thought "screw it! I'll leave it like that! Wheres the clear coat?" Notice that the rear fender has the same paint "theme"...

Hey pecca, welcome to the forum.

I'd like to hear more on your 'automotive regulator'. Thanx...

Thanks! And it's with two k's... :wink2: The regulator is a Hueco (or HUCO with a german "U") 13 0126 14V. Looks like this: http://www.vertexauto.com/UserData/Images/Large/1668.jpg Its apparently pretty much the same as Bosch model VR-B191. It's basicly an electronic 14V charge controller. Similar parts are probably available from other dealers too. DF goes to rotor, D+ to battery and D- to ground. around 14 volts at idle with lights of. Around 14.5 volts at anything above idle and with lights (50W). Ractifier with two of these: http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/old/diode/diode$8195044.jpg Available at any electronics store (Radio Shack maybe?)

Pekka

Looks awesome man, I have one i made for Gravel Blasting as well, these bikes are alot of fun when your not afraid to let them drift a little! I wish I could have put those tires on but I had a 16 inch rear wheel. Looks like fun man!

That bike looks like it kicks ass! Don't change a thing and ride the hell out of it!!

Thanks for all the compliments! I hope to do a fair bit of riding this summer. Next winter may again bring some changes to the look (we have long and dark winters here...).

The airbox was the last addition to the bike. I wanted something to keep the air filters dry and out of harms way. The box cover has a "pre filter" (lightly oiled 10mm foam) that hopefully keeps some of the flying dirt and dust out of the box. The airbox seems to work ok in this setup. Pulls nicely from idle to redline.

Pekka

And congratulations on that air box design. From a performance standpoint the main problem with the OE box is that it's too small, and it looks like you got quite a bit more volume out of the available space--nice work!

Years ago, before the powers that be started paving everything that couldn't get up and run and gravel roads were plentiful in my area, I had a F-model set up for gravel roads. Your machine brings back some great memories.

And congratulations on that air box design. ... it looks like you got quite a bit more volume out of the available space--nice work!

It's around 7,5 litres minus the battery and the wiring. I was supposed to fit a snorkel and make it resonant but then decided not to. Now it sucks air through four 55mm holes.

Pekka

What size rear sprocket did you use? I think a 36 or maybe a 38 would suit.

Very well done................has that "tough" look and "go anywhere" look:thumbsup:

Thanks! The sprocket is a 36. The smallest available for RD400. Front is 18. Rear sprocket was turned to 520 width on a lathe. That and 2mm washers took care of aligning it to correct offset.

Pekka

Back