Grease with new bearings?

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished powder coating my spoked wheels and was wondering: I got new bearings and seals from Mike's. Do I need to take the dust covers off and pack them with any kind of particular grease? They seem to have some sort of silicon stuff in them. Also, the axel I'm assuming needs a certain kind of grease...? Sorry for all the nube questions. First time around.

I know some members recommend carefully lifting the plastic covers and injecting in bearing grease if needed. I used bearings from Mikes and opened them to look and they didn't need it, but thats not say another batch wouldn't. I think they are made in Japan so they should be reasonable quality control. Axel i just used plain old bearing grease.

If they are sealed bearings then just install them without adding grease. Adding grease can actually shorten the life of the bearing.

I've heard of dirt bike guys adding grease to sealed bearings but that is more to protect it from water seeping in when fording creeks and such. Even then, I wouldn't do it. Bearings are inexpensive consumables, just replace them when they need it.

I have to disagree. Some manufacturers put practically no grease at all in their bearings. I always check new ones. Sealed and lubed for life? The life of a flea, maybe, lol.

Back