grounding...

cros36

thread killer
Reaction score
allright here is a picture of my 'electrical bag' the problem with it is that i think the way that it is mounted makes it vibrate pretty bad. it will almost pop the fuses out and has killed a kill switch. i was at my friends house and we were looking at it and i was thinking about redoing the whole thought process on how its mounted when he said that i should try to rubber mount it first and it might help with it. the problem with that is all my grounds (besides battery) are routed into the bag.

my first thought was i cant do that because my grounds are in there and i would have to reroute my grounds which still wouldnt be much of a problem, just not something that i want to do because i like having them all in there and not attached to my frame somewhere outside of this bag and visible.

this is where my limited expertise comes into play....if i were to rubber mount it would the bolts going from the flat bar through the rubber mounts to the bag provide enough for the ground?

also i was thinking about possibly making a jumper wire that would go from the top down like this....

bolt head
jumper wire
flat bar
rubber
jumper wire
electrical bag

i hope that makes sense.
heres the pictures...
DSCF4268.jpg

DSCF4266.jpg

DSCF4265.jpg

DSCF4264.jpg

thanks in advance. i hope i explained myself correctly.

Personally I've had a hell of a time with vibrations on my bobber. In a lot of places I've resorted to a rubber and sleeve mounting.
I found these little metal tubes at my local hardware store, then found some rubber tubing that fit tightly over the tubes.

Here's some pictures of some turn signal mounts I made. The first is the supplies and the second is the assembled mount. I hope the pictures explain the setup.
2011-08-02_22-17-16_108.jpg

2011-08-02_22-30-47_617.jpg

I've done this setup on my rear fender and fender struts, turn signals, plus some other spots. It's nice because what I'm mounting kind of floats. I've also used old pieces of tire and inner tube for rubber mounts too.

If your Electrical box needs to be grounded, then I'd run an extra ground wire from it to the frame.

Hope this helps

Personally I would gather up the grounds and connect them inside the can to a single thick ground wire(like the negative battery cable type) and run that out of the can to a post on the frame. If your paint isnt a issue drill a hole in a spot on the frame cut off the head of a bolt, put it inside the frame and weld it on. Connect your ground to that and you will have a excellent ground for your wiring. If you dont want to do all that, run the single wire out of the can and bolt it up somewhere. Just the way I did mine on my hardtail. My battery can doesnt shake or vibrate though. I wonder why you are getting so much vibration to it. Anyway hope that helps.

grepper and vis thanks for the input. my hardware store has a rack of 1000's of little grommets and rubber bits. i think im gonna do some sort of bag to frame ground and keep all the other grounds where their at kinda what vis said. one thicker wire is better than 3 or 4 thinner wires. and vis, i dont know why im getting so much vibs to it, the only thing that i can see is because of the little gusseted flap deal that comes off the can to the mount. nothing else on the bike shakes like this does, besides the normal xs vibes. some day when i get my own welding setup ill be redoing it along with some other things around the bike.

Is this going to be a battery-less system?

If not, just take all those wires & connect them to a central ground wire & run that straight to the negative battery terminal.

Then, make sure you ground the battery to the frame somewhere to take care of any factory ish grounds that use the frame- handlebars etc..

I looked at the pics again maybe the mounts are both close to the center and it's causing it to start to shake. Maybe spread out the mounts wider like what tc bros does on their cans and bolt it up.

Back