Gs1100 swing arm swap (pics)

bradshaw106

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
[/IMG]Ok guys, I'm in the process of installing a gs swing arm on my tracker project. I have researched the heck out of it and found some info but not much on the black art of swing arm swapping. I havnt finished the swap yet but figured I would post some pics of where Im at. Also there wasn't much info some I'm figuring it out as I go and any advice on how this could done easier is welcomed. I took a bunch of measurements of the new swinger but left them in the garage, will post them later
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 78c723d7.png
    78c723d7.png
    964.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1e586da8.png
    1e586da8.png
    950.9 KB · Views: 4
  • f2afae35.png
    f2afae35.png
    499.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The swing arm is about a inch too wide at the pivot point. So I have decided to modify both the frame and swing arm. One reason is the the swing arm is machined on the inside of the pivot tube to receive the bearings but only so deep. Their is about a 1/4" you can press the bearings deeper. So I took about a 1/4" from each side. In the pics below you can see a before and after I ground. The machining on the outside of the tube is where the dust seal sits and will need to be redone .
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 18e4afa6.png
    18e4afa6.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1852de1f.png
    1852de1f.png
    953.7 KB · Views: 3
Now I need to grind the frame are about a 1/2". What I'm not sure about is how to go about grinding the frame so it's square and swing arm remains centered in the frame....?
One idea I have is to completely grind the factory spacers off. Then use the lathe to make spacers to center the swing arm?? What you think?
Here is a pic of the bike it is going on
[/IMG]

Attachments

• c06640cc.png
    c06640cc.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Ok have a few measurements.. Keep in mind that I took these with a tape measure
Pivot width 8 11/16"
Pivot to end of axle travel 22"
Id width ( no chain adjusters). 10 3/8"

I got the swing arm to fit it's just sitting there but gives you an idea on how it will look.
I'm quite surprised on how only 2" length made quite the change in how it looks.... Could be just me tho?
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 2bb4e6c0.png
    2bb4e6c0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Good to see you got the swing arm sorted out. Definitely worth the trouble to get those wheels to work out. Going to need to get some longer shocks. There must have been an easier way to get the battery box out besides cutting the frame:laugh: Kidding aside, what's your plan for that part of the frame?

I have another seat hope bent up. But I'm going to wait to fit it until I get the running gear all situated
I really like the wheels, the bike is going to be black withe gold wheels. Ought to look pretty sweet

I agree. I'm gonna keep an eye on this build. Those wheels and forks look hot on that frame.

I keep wondering what happened to all those poor old GS1100's....

That swingarm will take up to a 180 tire btw. You would have to rig up the proper sprocket offset though.

It's going slow... I got a virago I have been tinkering on. Trying to get the chain alignment right was a pain! Had to build a offset sprocket and machine down the Cush drive....

Back