Hackers

BigGeorge

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just got back on line 6 weeks after hackers got into my internet banking and stole first $1500 then $2500 from my checking account in a matter of a few hours (12am to 3am). Then they changed my password so I couldnt check my account balance and changed my e-mail address so when the bank tried to notify me of suspicious activity I never recieved the e-mail. Finally the bank called me to let me know what was going on so I could close down the account. As for who got the money the bank would only tell me it was a direct wire transfer from my account to an account in Germany. The bank returned the money to my new account after the F.B.I determined I was not involved in any way with this fraud. I had all my anti virus and anti malware / spyware programs up to date yet the hackers got by everything. Then to top things off I got the blue screen of death a few days later and could only boot up in safe mode. Not sure if the hackers had anything to do with that or not but it took me another week to figure out how to get everything back up and running. The bank manager told me hackers get in through places like face book, e-bay and craigslist because they have high volumes of traffic there. They suggested I use a different computer to do just my banking and use this one for surfing the net. Also I had to put up fraud alerts on all 3 credit reporting agencies in case the hackers try to use my SS# to open accounts in my name. I think I've covered all the bases but if anyone has anything to add I'm all ears............BG

Wow that sucks! I'm surprised that your bank lets you initiate wire transfers online.

I wish I had $4000 in my checking account :D

I'm also surprised that your bank is blaming you and your computer when it could have just as easily been something on their end.

Also always make sure you use good passwords for everything and not the same password for each account. Make sure your email passwords are extra good because once they get that, they can get into about any account you have using the forgotten user name and password feature of most sites... and they can easily know what accounts you have because you'll probably have old emails from them.. Most of my passwords are almost 15 characters long and contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. But even the best passwords in the world won't always stop everything.

After an incident like that, I would change every password you have for all email and bank accounts.

Wow that sucks! I'm surprised that your bank lets you initiate wire transfers online.

I wish I had $4000 in my checking account :D

I'm also surprised that your bank is blaming you and your computer when it could have just as easily been something on their end.

Also always make sure you use good passwords for everything and not the same password for each account. Make sure your email passwords are extra good because once they get that, they can get into about any account you have using the forgotten user name and password feature of most sites... and they can easily know what accounts you have because you'll probably have old emails from them.. Most of my passwords are almost 15 characters long and contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. But even the best passwords in the world won't always stop everything.

After an incident like that, I would change every password you have for all email and bank accounts.

Travis, I had 2 checks deposited into my checking account the day before the wire transfers thus the $4000 but also I have overdraft protection so they could have just kept taking more with the bank backing the account up.

The bank would not admitt any responsibility claiming they (the hackers) got in through my computer not theirs. I was just happy I got the money back.

I was very carefull of the passwords I used but it seems the hackers have some way to copy every key stroke once they access your computer and when you log on to your banking site and enter your password its copied back to the hackers. They then use your password to draw an ammount that doesnt attract the banks attention. Once they get that they change the password to what ever they want and start making more withdrawals in amounts that dont alert the bank. What sent up the red flag to my bank is in the past 10 years I have never made a single wire transfer and suddenly 2 in 3 hours show up.

I have changed my checking account, changed every password, changed my e-mail address, and even got a new Visa card...................BG

Don't use internet banking :boxing:. The banks have forced this onto us and now it is costing us a fortune as the banks have to honor the debits but cannot recoup the money...........Here in Aus 1 in 10 Australians have been a victim of identity theft to an average of $1500 each and that is $2.5 billion per year, we as customers are paying for the banks to have internet banking and ATMs ...............This is from a population of 24million so imagine how much is being stolen in the States............As long as you have your internet securities up to date and follow the protocols set out by the banks they cannot make you pay for these thefts and they will always make out it is your, (the customers), fault:poke: but being the nice companies:cheers: with your interests at heart they will reimburse you out of the goodness of their heart :bs::bs:

The fees we pay are raised to help off set these debits and they will only get worse as long as we sit back and complacently do nothing.............

- here we have 2 options for account access

personal random number generators-the number must be used within 15 seconds of generation​
a personalised list of pregenerated access codes, renewed every 2 months, when you access your account the bank will tell you to use code # xy, after use that code is then invalid for further use​

Back