Had my resto in the "restoration" one but doesn't fit there

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, started my custom job in the "restoration" section but I am not doing that exactly, it will be a snippet of something someone has done here, another snippet from another one and so on and so on.

Today I hit the boneyard and look at all the goodies I uncovered. Jackpot and a lot cheaper than I would have paid on EBAY. Got a 750 swingarm, 750 chainguard, two new front brake discs (not sure which one to use yet), kickstand, and a fender I am going to use for the back with two tabs attached to the frame to hold it.

Attachments

• junkyard.jpg
    junkyard.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 220
imho, you have one rotor and lamp base. The holes are too big.
Good score on the TX swingarm though.

Ok, about 4 hours of soda blasting. I have did soda blasting years ago and wasn't impressed but after reading a lot of people doing it on this site, I thought "what the heck, let's try it again". Damn glad I did---holy crap this stuff turned out really good. It turned out to be a white driveway but it was an easy cleanup. Any suggestions on cleaning the engine after? I used soapy water, rinsed it off, sprayed it off with water, and then used air from the compressor. How do I make sure the engine is ok inside? Put new oil in it and drain it?

Second bonus of the day, I think I have my 13 year old son interested. He took apart the carbs, cleaned them with carb cleaner, air, and then stuck them back together. Same with the petcocks.

Thanks everyone for posting your success stories and pics!!

Attachments

• cleaned carbs.jpg
    cleaned carbs.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 164
  • cleaned engine2.jpg
    cleaned engine2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 184
  • cleaned engine3.jpg
    cleaned engine3.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 150
  • engine clean.jpg
    engine clean.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 131
Dropped off a ton of parts to the powdercoater---it is amazing what you can get done for the cost. For my Honda CL77 it cost me $1200 for paint on tank, fenders, and side covers. For this Yamaha, I am getting a ton of stuff done for $500. I bet it would have been about $2K with paint.

Ok, was able to get more work done last night. Painted the bottom of the engine with three coats of VHT flat black. Painted the hubs with etching primer and then will paint gloss black to match the rims. Painted the headers with VHT high heat primer. Left them in the sun today while I am at work and then most likely will run a heat gun over the engine to make sure it is cured.

Attachments

• blackengine.jpg
    blackengine.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 139
  • hubs.jpg
    hubs.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
  • headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 132
The guy who is doing my powder just sent me a few pics of his progress---looking good thus far.

Attachments

• fenders.jpg
    fenders.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 122
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 112
ok, stepped out of my comfort and "restoration" zone with this one. Decided to go with black, and yes I know that some people think this is crazy, but I kind of like it. Sanded, cleaned it with wax and grease remover, taped it all up, and then sprayed three coats of VHT case engine paint. Also, did the headers but had to sand a ton of chrome first and then I primed and painted. Also did the hubs to match the powder I am getting on the rims from my PC guy. Yes, I could have powdered the hubs but didn't. Wanted to be lazy and not take them all apart. Easier to tape and spray.

Anyway, here it all is. Just waiting for covers from PC guy and I am set with the engine. :)

OH and yeah, my yellow grass behind the one picture is from soda blasting---stuff almost killed my grass. :wtf:

Attachments

• black top.jpg
    black top.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 141
  • black top2.jpg
    black top2.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 143
  • headers black.jpg
    headers black.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 122
  • hubs black.jpg
    hubs black.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Lay some nitrogen and plenty of water to the grass, and give it some air. Gotta get that sodium diluted and calmed down.
I assume you were talking about not taking the hubs down?
I think your Black and Blue treatment is going to look pretty nice all together.

Powder is good but can present a few problems. If your swingarm bushings are not yet installed, scrape the powder off the end of the swingarm where they are going to seat or they may not go in far enough. When you lace the wheels, watch for any spokes that bow. If there are some, you'll need the dig the powder out of the hub holes where the spoke heads seat so they can go in deeper. The inners are usually not a problem but the outers can be.

Last edited:
I guess if that comes up I will deal with it then, not much choice at this point. LOL. I guess the cost versus paint was a big deal for me and worth it.

More done this weekend. Have the back fender mocked up as well. It is amazing how everything has tightened up with new bushings, etc.

Look ok?

Attachments

• getting closer.jpg
    getting closer.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 169
  • getting closer3.jpg
    getting closer3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 124
I haven't researched that all that much. I have seen where others have. I suppose that front fender won't be as sturdy as a brace huh? How do they mount?

They use the same attach points as the fender in general. There are some that are a beam that clamp to the top of the lower fork legs.

Back