had tank off, put back on and fuel flows back into the air filters when fuel is on???

MIKE93SVT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so i had my tank off and was swapping to a sortster tank. i wanted to hear the bike run and stuff so i put the stocker back on. i had plugged the vacum ports that were operating the stock petcocks. when i put the petcock to pri to flow some fuel, it then starts coming out of the opening of the carbs into the air filters. i haven't touched anything around the carbs and can't figure out why this is happening.

did i miss something easy?

thanks,
mike

after a lot of searching, i'm finding that the floats may be stuck, or the needle o ring is bad? if i'm on track, please point me in the right direction

thanks

easy fix, drained the carbs from the bottom and no more leaking. now i gotta figure out why i don't have spark. i removed the turn signals and that's it. now no spark, back to searching....

I was thinking I should just wait a bit and you will answer your second question too!
You don't mention which model some newer bikes will not spark if the safety switches are activated. (side stand, clutch) You might check to be sure you haven't disconnected something in the headlight bucket.

even easier, the fuse blew on top of the battery. maybe from when i was welding on the frame.

new now it's runnin good. took it for a cruise and the chain was real loose, but it would touch the frame every few feet. so i tightened it back up to a goood tension, and now it will bind up at about every 1 rotation of the tire and get real tight. then if you keep rotating the tire, it will go back to normal.

it's not consistant to the tire rotation, if you push through the bind up, it will bind up at a slightly different point. i was using the valve stem for reference. so now i have that last (hopfully) issue to figure out

Sometimes you can soak a chain and work the kinks out of it. Your chain has links that are stiff and don't want to rotate. But really? Buy a new chain. The stiff areas in the chain will not correspond to wheel location.

really? i was thinking something was out of line or something, i'll go scrub and clean it to see if that helps, then order a new one if so. thanks

easy fix, drained the carbs from the bottom and no more leaking. now i gotta figure out why i don't have spark. i removed the turn signals and that's it. now no spark, back to searching....

Is this a permanent fix or just temporary? Mine did this this weekend and ruined all the paint on my left side cover.. I'd prefer if it didn't happen again

good call on the chain as well. found about 5 rusty links. so i gotta wait till tomorrow to get a new one.

and i think the carb is a permanent fix. the float was up when i pulled the tank. sat for a while, had the throttle pulled a few times while changing bars and stuff. when the fuel started to flow back in, there was an air bubble or gap for the float to compensate. so i just drained it so the float went down, filled it back up and it's good to go. just reset the setup for the most part.

Back