handle bar mod

rezsst

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have an 1980 sx650 special and i hate the handle bars to laid backed. can anyone reccomend better ones that will work with my controls. i might try to straighten the stock ones.

Last edited:
How does the Euro bar differ from the Yamaha standard bar? (I already swapped out my Special "buckhorn" bar for a Standard).

The good news is ANY bar will be better than those damned buckhorns. I have a Heritage Special with low rise bars and all the stock cables, hose, and wiring, a little crowded but it all works fine. Handle bars are so personal it may take a few tries to get the best fit for you. But unless you put a lot of hours on the bike any shorter bar will be a lot better and good enough. My wife LIKES how the buckhorns ride go figure.

I've had the Daytona bars and they're real nice. Sporty without being too low.

I agree with Gary; bars are so personal. What's comfy for me may be a pain in the neck for you.

You have plenty of options. '75 and '78 stock bars are lower than the buckhorns. Daytonas, Euro or Super Sport bars are sporty but not as low as drag bars or Clubmans.

What's a bar that's about the same as the Special bar, but has the grips going more to the side rather than back?

I don't think so, but I don't care how it looks. My concern is healthy arms :)

Thought the bars on my '83 were stock buckhorns and couldn't understand what the rototiller comments were all about untill I acquired a set of the stock buckhorns with the purchase of an '82 parts bike. UGH.
Not sure what my '83's are called but the height and the rise are the same as the buckhorns...difference is the '83's spread a couple of inches wider at the grips. I traded them out for an early set of standards anyway, more like the old trumps.

I'm a fan of Renthal ($70.00) superbike high bars, which aren't very high. Nice positon and they absorb a lot vibes. It puts the MC at abad angle, but works fine just be careful to turn the bar when adding fluid so you don't spill it. And of course you can get the right MC for around $60.00

If you can find a set of bars from a Honda 79-81 CB750K they might be a version of the straightend out Buckhorns you are looking for. I picked up a set of Triumph Bonneis at a swap meet. They worked out nice on my 79.

If you can find a set of bars from a Honda 79-81 CB750K they might be a version of the straightend out Buckhorns you are looking for. I picked up a set of Triumph Bonneis at a swap meet. They worked out nice on my 79.

I got one just now for $5 + $12. Figure it's worth a try at that price :)

I got one just now for $5 + $12. Figure it's worth a try at that price :)

The '81 cb750k bars came in and I have to say I think it's a dramatic improvement! The main thing is my palm is facing down, rather than sideways garden hose style. Much stronger brake pull. More natural control overall too, I think.

The good news is this bar seems to be considered among the cb750 crowd like the xs crowd considers the buckhorn bars, so they're dirt cheap. They look good. I'll take a pic if I think of it. The knurling matches up right, which was one thing I was wondering about.

Last edited:
I like the buckhorns EXCEPT for the fact that they are simply too narrow. If I could find the same bar about 6" wider I think the buckhorn might make a great bar. Who knows, maybe I'll widen a set of buckhorns and add some weights to them.

Back