handle bar switches

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I really want to replace both of my handle bar switches for cosmetic reasons. the housings are bleached out from all the years of sitting in the sun. After looking at the horror pictures of the harness from Mikes, I am a little afraid to get the switches from them. Has anybody got them from Mikes or found a source with good quality? After seeing the harness pictures I am probably going to clean up and reinstall the original harness. What do y'all think?

Lots of guys have rehabed thier OG houseings and switches to like new again...

I have a rt 78 special switch. Its complete but needs a rehab., if its better than your right , well its Super cheap to Idaho. 20170507_183800.jpg

..... and you'll gain a headlight on-off switch in the process.

I have one I need to rehab too from my '78SE... Anyone know where I can find an expanded view of a RH control. I tried Boats.net but couldn't find one. It would just be nice to have a reference for correctly putting it back together. I had it apart before at a previous attempt to repaint, but not too happy with the results.

FWIW - I bought a set of Mike's switches (before I realised what a great resource this forum is for parts and knowledge) - and they look great and work just fine.

The only wrinkle is that they don't stock a pre-'77 switch for the LH side and so I had to adapt my '76 wiring to the '77 switch which has provisions for the self-cancelling turn signals. It isn't a big deal and it works fine - but there are a couple of small extra steps inside the headlight bucket.

I did try to re-built my original switches but they were too far-gone and simply disintegrated as a I took them apart. The LH one was crammed full of what looked like hardened mud and the RH one was packed full of a substance that looked like cottage cheese - yuk.

Back