Handlebar slippage

rwingsfan

Xs 650 Dummy
Reaction score
Got a set of handlebars I really like, but with the dogbone risers I am using they won't tighten well enough. The handlebars are not knurled. Any suggestions how to knurl them? How about tapping a bolt through the top of the riser down in to the bar? The risers are aluminum and I cranked them down pretty good, but afraid to push it. They bars still move a bit under pressure. Ideas?

Friction tape, AKA hockey tape would be my solution. Just a wrap or 2 around the bars in the clamping area. I have also heard of people fabricating shims cut from beer cans to take up the slop. In a pinch, you may be able to take a bit of material off of the upper handlebar clamps with a sanding block and some ruff arse sandpaper. Just be certain that you aren't trying to clamp 7/8" bars with 1" risers.

Use a center punch to dimple the bars several times in the area that the risers will clamp. When the center punch dimples the steel it will leave a small raised area around the depression and this will help the risers grip. The beer can shimms also work well and ,as a last resort, you could drill the bottom of the risers and the bars to accept a small roll pin effectively pinning them in position and if it's on the bottom of the risers it will be less noticeable.

heh...they are 7/8 bars and risers. Never thought about the friction tape thing, makes sense though. And to think I played hockey from 6 yrs through high school..

heh...they are 7/8 bars and risers. Never thought about the friction tape thing, makes sense though. And to think I played hockey from 6 yrs through high school..
The tape will not hold! Where are you located? If you want I will knurl them for you free of charge if you pay shipping back and forth. (shipping would be cheap if in USA)

Agreed, hockey tape is for hockey. I'd take Scott up on his offer and mill the caps a bit. This is a safety item guys.

i just bought the crome handlebar bar top clamp from mikes(part 37-002). its the one piece unit with the four holes in it. I was shocked when after full torque,the bars still moved. i took the new part to the bench grinder and took off a little material where the new part contacts the lower mounts. That allowed enough pressure so they dont slip anymore.

You can't beat Gordon's offer. It looks like he has a tool for it I'd include a drawing showing the distance between clamps and the width of the clamps.

You can't beat Gordon's offer. It looks like he has a tool for it I'd include a drawing showing the distance between clamps and the width of the clamps.
If it's for stock xs tree's we are good to go :thumbsup: opps, just read the beging of thread again, ya just let me know where to knurl :doh:

Back