Harbor Freight Metal Vibrator/Tumbler

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these Harbor Freight tumblers for cleaning nuts, bolts and small parts? It looks interesting but wouldn't the parts rust again quickly unless clear coated or something and clear coating nuts & bolts doesn't sound very practical?

image_2642.jpg

Last edited:
I am curious about this too. I think the most important part is to wash your parts prior to putting them in the cutting media. Having them greasy and dirty will dramatically slow the cleaning process.

I am curious about this too. I think the most important part is to wash your parts prior to putting them in the cutting media. Having them greasy and dirty will dramatically slow the cleaning process.

Yeah that makes sense. Just wonder how to stop the nuts and bolts from rusting? I guess it's probably better to just replace the ones you can with stainless and use this method on parts that you cant get in stainless or that can be painted.

Yeah that makes sense. Just wonder how to stop the nuts and bolts from rusting? I guess it's probably better to just replace the ones you can with stainless and use this method on parts that you cant get in stainless or that can be painted.

I would agree. However, something like this can be great not just for bolts and nuts, but for smaller parts. Things like motor mounts, valve adjuster covers and anything else you can cram into the bowl. Some companies also make polishing media for tumblers like this.

We use a professional version at work, tho we call it rumbleing. Depending on the media used & how long you leave your parts in there, it will polish & debur. It WILL round the edges of anything sharp & will damage threads etc.... we use plugs to protect threads. It also leaves media particles in places that are difficult to reach. We have the advantage of bead blasting, ultrasonic cleaning & then inspect parts under a X30 microscope. After all the cleaning process, we still find media particles lodged in holes. :banghead:
Having looked at parts after beadblasting, scrubbing & ultrasonically cleaning & still finding glass bead, I would never have any part of my engine beadblasted
Just my :twocents:

I've done what you want to do only much cheaper with a wire brush on a drill. When clean and shiny you can give it a shot of clear non-yellowing coating.

Cold Galvanize is good for hardware. It's kind of like a paint with zinc as the pigment. I bought a spray can of Rustoleum last year and used it on some cleaned hardware with good results. I'd like to find a brush can of CG so I could dip cleaned hardware. I'll pick up a can if I ever run into it. I've also used regular paint and that looks okay but tools tend to damage the paint too much.

Tom Graham

My favorite paint method for little things is spray bomb into the can's own cap and brush the paint on. Two coats, the first one thin, then as the paint gets thicker in the cap a second coat covers completely. Spray carb cleaner cleans brushes great.

I use one quite a bit, and even have one of the larger ones as well. They work great with the walnut shell media, which will not damage or round over parts. It cleans light rust and brightens and polishes parts. It's just one of many ways, but perfect for those small bits and pieces. Degrease them first, toss them in and forget them for a while. The price is right-wait til its on sale and use a 20% coupon.

John

I use one quite a bit, and even have one of the larger ones as well. They work great with the walnut shell media, which will not damage or round over parts. It cleans light rust and brightens and polishes parts. It's just one of many ways, but perfect for those small bits and pieces. Degrease them first, toss them in and forget them for a while. The price is right-wait til its on sale and use a 20% coupon.

John

Thanks for the response John. There on sale right now for $55. so with coupon it's only $44, not bad! :thumbsup:

Bill

You're close to Harbor Freight nirvana there. :) I was out there in March and drove through Camirillo and stopped at the main store there. It was closing time, so I only had a minute to look around. I figured there might be something there I haven't seen in the two we have here. Probably not.

John

You're close to Harbor Freight nirvana there. :) I was out there in March and drove through Camirillo and stopped at the main store there. It was closing time, so I only had a minute to look around. I figured there might be something there I haven't seen in the two we have here. Probably not.

John
Well it's still about a 30 - 40 min drive from here but I guess thats a helluva lot closer then you are. :D

Do you know if they will take the 20% off coupon if its printed from the internet ? It says in the fine print of the coupon they won't but I'm hoping their not to stringent on that?

I just powder coat old crappy acorn nuts and smaller parts 20 minutes 15 minutes in the toaster oven and their good to go,plus a wrench won't scar them up if your careful

Back