Hardtail frame question

This took me a few mins to understand haha but I kind of get it. Only part that confuses me a little is the part of the string. Would there be a way to do like a diagram so I can have an idea?

OK, I'll try to describe this. The object is to get a straight line from the front sprocket to the axle area using a string. String methods are accurate and have been used for centuries. Secure the string to something in front of the front sprocket, stretch the string over the axle area, slide the string towards the rear outer face of the front sprocket. When the string touches the rear of the sprocket you have a straight line across the front sprocket all the way to the axle. The outer face of your rear sprocket should be on this line to have both sprockets in line with each other.

This is the same thing as laying a straight edge against the front sprocket to find this point at the rear axle.

Another way... get a helper to hold the string against the forward face of the front sprocket, stretch the string over the axle area, move the string back and forth between the axle plates, notice when the string touches the whole face of the front sprocket.

It's easy, it's quick, move that string back and forth and you'll see just how accurate it really is.

Scott

Last edited:
OK, I'll try to describe this. The object is to get a straight line from the front sprocket to the axle area using a string. String methods are accurate and have been used for centuries. Secure the string to something in front of the front sprocket, stretch the string over the axle area, slide the string towards the rear outer face of the front sprocket. When the string touches the rear of the sprocket you have a straight line across the front sprocket all the way to the axle. The outer face of your rear sprocket should be on this line to have both sprockets in line with each other.

This is the same thing as laying a straight edge against the front sprocket to find this point at the rear axle.

Another way... get a helper to hold the string against the forward face of the front sprocket, stretch the string over the axle area, move the string back and forth between the axle plates, notice when the string touches the whole face of the front sprocket.

It's easy, it's quick, move that string back and forth and you'll see just how accurate it really is.

Scott

GOT IT!!!!! I know what you mean already. Im working on the bike tonite so I will have a chance to do it! Thanks a lot!!!

GOT IT!!!!! I know what you mean already. Im working on the bike tonite so I will have a chance to do it! Thanks a lot!!!

Good !!!!! With the plates spread 8.5" or just a little more, get a 8.5" spacer between the plates, get that mark on your spacer, it should be 3/4" from the left axle plate. I would call within 1/8" "perfect", less than 1/4" might be good enough, 1/4" or more should be fixed and would cause chain and sprocket wear from binding and maybe jumping off the sprocket.

Scott

Back