hardtail plans

gottafly51

XS650 Member
Reaction score
new to this forum, building first bobber.

I want to scratch build a hardtail from plans to match a 74 frame. Where can I find hardtail plans/dimensions? Like the TampaSVT build up and want to copy that. I think he has Elswick hardtail. Couldn't find any on forum.

Thanks.

Randy

new to this forum, building first bobber.
I want to scratch build a hardtail from plans to match a 74 frame. Where can I find hardtail plans/dimensions? Like the TampaSVT build up and want to copy that. I think he has Elswick hardtail. Couldn't find any on forum.
Thanks.
Randy

Hi Randy and welcome,
are you sure you wouldn't rather scratch build a featherbed Norton frame?
So long as you are scratch building and not retrograding an XS650's suspended frame, building a hardtail is fine.
Begin with Skull's XS650 ID sticky; scroll down past all the bike photos to see dimensioned diagrams of most years stock frames to give your design concept a starting point.
I vaguely remember a post here about XS650 frame CAD drawings too, perhaps the search button could tell you more?
OK then, to balance my anti-hardtail prejudice, here's a constructive thought.
Should you want to go to a single carb the stock frame's single down tube gets in the way of a centering it.
A scratch builder don't need to use no steenkin' center down tube, eh?

Hey Fred

Thanks for your comments. I'll check out the Norton, but am committed on this first one with the '74 frame just arrived at Fedex for pick up. Just for local rides, hope I can stand the hardtail ride. I like to build stuff, just picked up a tig welder and looking forward to this build.

Back