Hardtail welding

ogh11756

Project Hound
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a David Bird hardtail and have a fab question.
Since the downtube & rear crossmember are un-cut with this hardtail design, do i still need to leave the engine in the frame for welding? I don't really want to make bracing for it either. I looked at a ton of hardtails and this one looked best and won the design nod also. Thanks in advance.
Owen

Leaving the engine in gives the best bracing. I left mine in and welded as much as I could before stripping it down then flipping over and finishing the welds.

I used a Voodoo Vintage.Since the crossbrace is cut out,I made a couple of braces.It's easy.I just got a couple lengths of 1"x1/8" and ran it from the front motor mounts to the rear.Drilled holes and bolted it the motor mount holes.Then I cut it.

I had someone else weld mine as my welding skills aren't great. they welded it in a frame jig, but without the motor installed. it built back up nice and straight and I had no problems at all getting engine mounted after. I would say its best to leave it in, but not mandatory

Leaving the engine in gives the best bracing. I left mine in and welded as much as I could before stripping it down then flipping over and finishing the welds.

That's what I did, and it worked out great, came out nice and straight. I just tacked everything to start with, and then jumped around and welded what I could reach, then took the motor out to finish welding everywhere else.

Hey guys,
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a David Bird hardtail and have a fab question.
Since the downtube & rear crossmember are un-cut with this hardtail design, do i still need to leave the engine in the frame for welding? I don't really want to make bracing for it either. I looked at a ton of hardtails and this one looked best and won the design nod also. Thanks in advance.
Owen

no, you do not have to leave the engine in. thanks david bird

Back