Harley soft tail 21" front wheel..

Chadske

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 21" front rim from an 01 soft tail. My question is will it work. Can I buy a new axle for it? Or could I just keep my hub and re lace it. He wants 100$ obo. Figured I could get it for 75$. Is there a cheaper way to run a 21" or should I jump on this? Thanks.

Xs hubs are 36 hole, Harley are 40. You could run it on an xs as is with a bearing swap and making spacers, but you won't have a front brake option. Other option is to buy 21" 36 hole rim and spokes and lace it to the xs hub...

So it seems to be easier to get a dirt bike rim and do it that way? I see that the yzf450 are a 21 X1.60 that won't be to narrow for the front tire?. No way I could modify the Harley wheel and Hub to work with running a front brake? Trying to learn sorry if my questions seem dumb..

No dumb questions....I used a dirt bike rim for mine. You can get a rim for $50 or so and spokes here
https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamah...-set-21-36-spoke-front-to-convert-from-19-rim
You could get away with a 1.6" rim. I think I used a 1.85 on mine, not positive though.
b0ffd2bf8f9182b16c93af2a02f55c45.jpg

As far making the Harley rim work with brakes to, anything is possible but it would be a lot of work.

Back