Has anyone ever welded their swingarm to make it a hardtail?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Title says it all, welding the stock swingarm and just making it a hardtail? How'd it turn out, anyone got any pics?

I don't have pics but it's been done on just about every bike made. No one took pics b/c it's not that nice to look at. If you're interested in doing that just make some struts in place of the shocks. If nothing else you'll get to try it out as a hardtail to see if you can handle the pounding.

i know others may have or offer great advice ,,but years ago all they did was added struts .. easy to do... regards oldbiker

here is my 73" tx650 that is 90% done i did the paint myself and clear coat all rattle can

bike5.jpg

bike4.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike.jpg

wheel089.jpg

Globalmaa, how hard was/is it to get the chain hooked up? I have the engine set in place, and when i look at it I see no way of getting it looped through there. Was it alot of cutting and modding?

np at all . i think when you hardtail the swingarm make sure your angle is correct so when you weld the 1/4 plate from the frame to the swingarm it has the same stance as if it still had shocks follow the same steps as if you were hardtailing a shaft drive frame. a lot of guys there just weld to the swingarm on the right side and and use the new tubing to bolt where the shock mounts go.if you raise or lower the swingarm to much your chain will not fit properly. as for feeding the chain that is the same as if it were shock or rigid. remember the swingarm stance is the same per say it just becomes a hardtail with a drop seat type feel the seat is approx 22" off the ground. the other thing is the front end is stock 34mm with 6" over tubes. so i take it this one passes:thumbsup:

np at all . i think when you hardtail the swingarm make sure your angle is correct so when you weld the 1/4 plate from the frame to the swingarm it has the same stance as if it still had shocks follow the same steps as if you were hardtailing a shaft drive frame. a lot of guys there just weld to the swingarm on the right side and and use the new tubing to bolt where the shock mounts go.if you raise or lower the swingarm to much your chain will not fit properly. as for feeding the chain that is the same as if it were shock or rigid. remember the swingarm stance is the same per say it just becomes a hardtail with a drop seat type feel the seat is approx 22" off the ground. the other thing is the front end is stock 34mm with 6" over tubes. so i take it this one passes:thumbsup:

I'm kinda reviving this thread....

So the stock chain worked out fine?

What size is that rear tire?

6'' over tubes, stock rake?

I welded the swingarm on my build cuz I'm "Cheap" and like to use what I have. I've rode it about 50 miles so far and I can live with the quality of the ride. I built it to be different, not as a touring bike.

Attachments

• jimbob 011 (Medium).jpg
    jimbob 011 (Medium).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,169
  • JimBob 2 002 (Medium).jpg
    JimBob 2 002 (Medium).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 536
damn you nj!!(old man shaking fist)
globalmaa was a glutten for punishment eh?
Every one says welded swing arm dosnt look good, then he posts his.. I meen, it looks ok, but if it were a standard hardtail rear, coulda saved him 20lbs of tubing.
I made my own hardtail, it was my first. Im glad I did it.
The only welded swingarm bikes I liked were fong bros.
Them using big glitter in the candy dosnt make it so bulky looking.

Back