Has anyone had any luck welding aluminum side cases?

bobadame

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to "reconfigure the YAMAHA script on the engine side cover. To do this I'll weld over the lettering , grind and sand it flat then re-machine the script. Has anyone had any luck welding on these side covers? What rod did you use. I'm thinking 5356.

4043 would make a better filler rod for cast. There may be a very small color difference in the metal after polishing due to the two different aluminums (anodizing would really show the difference). Keep it cool, maybe one letter every 10-15 minutes to avoid warping. Maybe even make a fixture to bolt it to. But myself.....Im not embarrassed to be riding a yamaha.....lol j/k

Thanks for the reply tigman. I've had some success welding some cast aluminum and I've also found some castings that were impossible to weld such as 7075 brake and clutch levers. While I doubt that the engine cases are cast from 7075, I know that some castings are generally more weldable than others. Just wondering where in the range these castings lie. The script change will go with the style of motorcycle I'm building. Thanks again.

I have a '69 Bonneville. This bike will hopefully be more dependable and less high maintenance to live with. I think the Yamaha is a better engineered machine but it needs a little help with it's personality. Rather than write Triumph on it, the theme of this bike is more, "kiss my Asian ass". No offense meant to Asians, Britts or anyone else, however you may take offense if you want to.

My TeutonicScotsIrish mutt rear end is offended. :p

Seriously, though... along the theme you have in mind, you could do "Yamaha" is some sort of tribal font. That'd be cool. :)

TC

you can just grind and polish the cover till the writing is gone, its been done plenty of times before.

I'm not trying to pass the machine off as a Triumph or a Harley or deny that it is a Yamaha. Although it will bear some resemblance to British bikes from the early '50s. I will change the A to an O and the H to an M. The script will read YOMAMA.

I'm not trying to pass the machine off as a Triumph or a Harley or deny that it is a Yamaha. Although it will bear some resemblance to British bikes from the early '50s. I will change the A to an O and the H to an M. The script will read YOMAMA.

:laughing:

Yeah, what tigman said, you'd be better off with a 4000 series alloy that has silicone in it as opposed to a 5000 series with magnesium since the silicone alloys are less brittle and produce a weld that is less likely to crack.

Thanks for the reply tigman. I've had some success welding some cast aluminum and I've also found some castings that were impossible to weld such as 7075 brake and clutch levers. While I doubt that the engine cases are cast from 7075, I know that some castings are generally more weldable than others. Just wondering where in the range these castings lie. The script change will go with the style of motorcycle I'm building. Thanks again.

To be technical, 7075 is a wrought alloy designation and doesn't apply to castings, There is a 7075 cast equivelent, 710.0 IIRC but don't quote me on that.

Back