Has anyone tried an 18" Front Wheel with an 18" rear?

Boopduke

XS650 Member
Reaction score
For handling, wouldn't an 18" front wheel be better than a stock 19" wheel (an easy swap for spoked wheels)? Perhaps, the difference is too small to be noticed. Has anyone tried an 18" front wheel in combination with an 18" stock rear wheel? I thought two 18" wheels would look better too. Almost all modern bikes roll on 17" rubber front and rear (the best compromise for handling and stability, apparently). 18" sounds like a reasonable compromise.

21"s on this bike.

102_2038.jpg

All the AHRMA Sportsman 750 Yamaha roadracers use 18 at both ends and handle very well; certainly as well as anyone would ever want on the street. Most use 130MM rears and 110 fronts, typically with about 29 lbs. F and 32 lbs. R tire pressure. Avon AM series tires work well, will last awhile and have more grip that you'll typically ever need for the street.
Then there's always the business about truing the wheels and aligning them carefully, installing new steering head bearings and freshening the swing arm bushings.
Finally, consider upgrading the shocks (or freshening them) and perhaps adding some Race Tech emulators and springs for your weight so the wheels have at least a fighting chance of following the road surface.

650performance; then you want rims to match the 110 130 tires too? 2.15 front 2.50 rear?
So perhaps the first question is what are your riding goals and what tires will best suit you, then pick rims that match available tire sizes....

Heads up the spoke holes need to be drilled match the hub diameter ie XS650 rear rims will have spoke holes that are not angled properly to lace to a front hub.

All the AHRMA Sportsman 750 Yamaha roadracers use 18 at both ends and handle very well; certainly as well as anyone would ever want on the street. Most use 130MM rears and 110 fronts, typically with about 29 lbs. F and 32 lbs. R tire pressure. Avon AM series tires work well, will last awhile and have more grip that you'll typically ever need for the street.
Then there's always the business about truing the wheels and aligning them carefully, installing new steering head bearings and freshening the swing arm bushings.
Finally, consider upgrading the shocks (or freshening them) and perhaps adding some Race Tech emulators and springs for your weight so the wheels have at least a fighting chance of following the road surface.

I'll might go 90 on the front and 110 on the rear. I like a bike to handle. Any thoughts?

Definitely Race Tech emulators and Progressive Springs. When I was younger I had two 650 Specials at different times. I always had the suspension set up by Race Tech.

I don't know about looking better. I've seen many 19/19 and 21/21 setups.

19/19 and 21/21 definitely look better. Chopper types favor larger front wheels like the stock 19/18 setup. I tend to think that 18/18 looks better than 19/18, but that's purely a matter of taste. 21/21 looks best. Too bad, I'm interested in what handles best on the street (not the freeway).

For a cafe style bike, I've pretty much decided on 18/17. I expect my tire selection will be 110/80-18 front and 130/80-17 on the rear. I believe the rim widths are 2.5" in the front and 3" on the rear. My choice for the rear matches what is on the latest generation Triumph Bonneville and Moto Guzzi V7.

I haven't tried this yet, so this is not gospel.

18/18 on my XS. Running AVON RoadRiders, 100 front, 110 rear. When these wear out I'll replace the front with a 90 and probably a 100 on the rear.

Photo1.jpg

Back