has anyone used this product?

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit from mikes for the bs34s? and if so does it do what it says its going to if put in properly ?

5twins this is up you alley what do you think?

I haven't personally tried that kit but the posts I've seen on it aren't good. They said it just plain doesn't work and they went back to stock parts. Now granted, maybe these posters just couldn't tune carbs but on the other hand, if the kit was a stellar performer, you'd think there would be some good reviews out there as well. So far, I haven't seen one. 3M at 650Central just came out with his own BS34 kit that is very similar but uses genuine Mikuni jets and made in USA titanium needles. I think I'd be more inclined to try his before the Heiden kit.

That all being said, so far I haven't needed to resort to new needles on any of the BS34s I've tuned. Pilot and main jet changes seem to be enough so far. I will be playing with a set that has the Canadian needles and needle jets soon but if we have tuning problems, I'm going to stick the stock ones back in there. I know they can be made to work in most cases.

i seen the set on 650central and it looks like a better set of jets for only 10$ more then mikes but like i said in the first post i dont want to buy a product that has not worked for anyone. ive been having trouble on the right side carb not opening till 15-2000 rpm and i figured its a sync problem but i cant get it to go away the more i try and mess with the sync screw. or my be its a pilot/circuit jet? its becoming a headace but i feel im gettin close

Yes, you have other problems that a needle kit isn't going to solve.

hey volcom i bought that heiden tuning needle jet kit. im not sure if the kit is good or bad, all i know is that my bike runs with it in. ive rode around my neighbor hood a few times, gave it sone good throttle and it seems to pull. no hesitation no lean popping noises and it doesnt bogg out with a good amount of throttle. i guess the only thing i can say so far about the kit is your bike will run. but once i get the timing situated and can do a good plug chop ill let you know if your still interested.

I haven't personally tried that kit but the posts I've seen on it aren't good. They said it just plain doesn't work and they went back to stock parts. Now granted, maybe these posters just couldn't tune carbs but on the other hand, if the kit was a stellar performer, you'd think there would be some good reviews out there as well. So far, I haven't seen one. 3M at 650Central just came out with his own BS34 kit that is very similar but uses genuine Mikuni jets and made in USA titanium needles. I think I'd be more inclined to try his before the Heiden kit.

That all being said, so far I haven't needed to resort to new needles on any of the BS34s I've tuned. Pilot and main jet changes seem to be enough so far. I will be playing with a set that has the Canadian needles and needle jets soon but if we have tuning problems, I'm going to stick the stock ones back in there. I know they can be made to work in most cases.
Dont mean to thread jack or anything but i wanted to ask you 5twins about the posts youve read about heiden tuning needle jet kit. with the people who said negative thing about it and went back to the stock needle did they mention any problems with the stock needle and modified vacuum hole on the slide? in the instructions for installation the kit requires to drill the vacuum slide hole slightly larger.

They didn't mention the slide drilling, just that the needles were worse than before so they took them out. I've heard about slide drilling. It's supposed to help any carb set-up, stock or modded, so you should be OK no matter what needles you use. The trick is using the right size bit. Go too big and you make throttle response and lift speed worse.

I have a spare set of slides for my 38s and would like to drill them if I could find out exactly what size bit to use.

In the kit that I used on my Harley, it came with a 7/32 bit. To drill the hole in the idle mix screw plug and to drill the slide hole.
In the slide it didn't really make the hole larger, it more made it the same all the way through. It left bits of the gold anodizing in the hole. I think when they make the slides they punch the hole. This leaves burrs around the hole.
The drilling removes the burrs and uniforms the diameter the length of the hole. No tight spots.
It worked very well on the Harley, runs great.
The kit also came with a new slide return spring. It is slightly weaker. Between the hole drilling and the weaker spring, the slide reacts quicker to the changes in vaccum. These quicker responces make for better throttle responce and improved drivability.
The new spring and drilling were designed to work together.
I don't know if a 7/32 bit will be the right size for our XS650 slides or not. From the rsults on the Harley I wouldn't go larger. Maybe start with a bit that's just a tiny amount larger and trying it, trying the next size up then testing it until you get slide flutter, then back off one size.
This would sacrifice a set of slides,but get a good idea of the max size to drill.
I think someone with good carb tuning experience should do the testing. They would get better results than a hack like me.

Last edited:
Back