Have my first not so pretty XS !

Dust-it

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have ben here as a visitor for a few mouths , just picked up my first XS. The site has ben a lot of help identifying what I have . It is a 10 of 1972 manufacture date and makes it a 1973 TX650 . It has a matching numbers motor with around 23,000 miles .
Waiting on some carb parts to find out what I really have . Tank and carbs are cleaned up , I have spark and some very dry cylinders yielded 140 psi a side.
I hope to make it safe ( tires ,brakes ,chain and sprockets ) and ride it much as it is .

Attachments

• XS 650 AND U-Log Books 028.jpg
    XS 650 AND U-Log Books 028.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 322
  • XS 650 AND U-Log Books 031.jpg
    XS 650 AND U-Log Books 031.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 261
  • XS 650 AND U-Log Books 033.jpg
    XS 650 AND U-Log Books 033.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 259
drop some oil in the plug holes, prop your carb slides up, full throttle and check comp again. the fact that you have matching comp numbers both sides is a good sign.
Looks a little tattered, but looks like the important parts are all there. tank, sides,a rotating engine. good find. what you pay?

for a second there i thought you had a right- foot operated clutch:yikes:

Good looking bike! looks way better than mine when i started. keep at it, we are all here to help. and post pics! we live on pics!

Found it in Iowa , I spend summers up here working at a Skydiving Center . Have ben a skydiver for 36 years and riding motorcycles 45 years . I paid $250.00 with a title .
I am not sure that the turn signals on this bike are year appropriate and not going to leave them on anyway . I just figured out that the raindrop shaped chrome hardware and grommets from the rear signals will work to hold my headlight bucket in the headlight mounts . I am missing that hardware and the seal beam mounting hardware (one of the members here is currently trying to help with those parts ). That and a ratty seat , all else seems to be pretty much stock and and complete. One muffler has chucked out most of its rusty innards and the other is toast. Will need to find a pair of some thing even ugly to knock down the decibels a bit and carb tune .
I intend to ride it like it is , clean up the rust and make it safe for the hwy. One question for now, starter works under light load (plugs out) but bendix is kicking out after about two compression strokes of load on it. Have ben reading the starter problems stuff here not sure if the fix would be worth the effort or just kick it . Sure I will need to dissemble to inspect and don't have a problem with that as long as parts and a reliable repair is and option.

Attachments

• head light pics 007.jpg
    head light pics 007.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 202
  • head light pics 005.jpg
    head light pics 005.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 215
  • head light pics 006.jpg
    head light pics 006.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
And now its a running XS. Opened the sump no parts or pieces, repaired the screen made my self a new gasket and buttoned it up . Same with the one in the right side case. Its charging and the lights are working including the instrument lights.
Just got my carb diaphragms so I can do a bit of tuning. Rear brake off cleaned up and functional again now. Tires and tubes coming Fed -X tomorrow so I might be able to ride it yet this week. Front brake and fork seals are yet to come . Front sprocket must be original not much left so a pair of sprockets and a chain and and and !!!!

The first ride is the fun part. For mufflers commando a good choice. No junk in the filters is a good thing. A diamond in the rough nice find.

Road it today on the hwy. Only about 2 miles speed indicated 80 mph , ya !

So I have ben to the sections on this site about brakes and in my case master cylinders. At mikes it is difficult to find rebuild kits for this master cylinder (15mm).In fact don't know if he even sells them ? The guy out Cal . wants $80 + and have had no luck on E-Bay. Were do I look ?

My parts are maybe good enough to put it back together . The boot at the end that the lever actuates the piston is toast . Every thing will clean up well cylinder bore is in great shape yet.

Should I be posting this were besides here for help ?

Attachments

• yamaha 018.jpg
    yamaha 018.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 196
  • yamaha 020.jpg
    yamaha 020.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 210
I was able to bring the original master cylinder parts back to life and front brake works well (for 42 years old). Now have 250 miles on it after sitting 20 years. Heading
back to Fl. in 3 wks. and will be able too do more clean up when I get back to my own shop. Seat and suspension need the most attention ,new fork seals ,functioning rear shocks.
Stock ignition and charging system will stay .

Attachments

• yamaha 006.jpg
    yamaha 006.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 184
  • yamaha 005.jpg
    yamaha 005.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 207
  • yamaha 008.jpg
    yamaha 008.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 191
The bike looks good. Great job on the cleanup. The stock charging and ignition systems are adequate no real reason to change if functioning properly. The mechanical advance can be problematic with over advancing and can hole a piston. Not a set and forget my opinion. I checked mine when changing oil :thumbsup:.

Lucky for you man! I also got a 73 TX650 about 5 months ago but not in the best running condition. Currently have the engine apart for new engine gaskets due to a leak. Gonna check the piston rings and wall. Can't quite recall the mileage but it did run after rebuilding the carbs. Still have some fine tuning to do.
Just like yourself im going through it to make it safe. Maybe a slight winter project into a tracker or brat style bike.
Its is a nice color for this bike though!
Great find on yours! Any plans on the seat?

Johnnyb89x on the plans for the seat . Friend of mine that lives near me in Fl. was up north this summer and retrieved a 1974 styled oem seat from his barn in Wisconsin that I hope can be made to work on my 73.
I will be changing the bars to a lower style and hope to find more modern adjustable pair of rear shocks .

Back