having carburetor trouble, possible jetting issues, need help badly

jgalash7

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll

I have a 1978 xs650 "E", with bs38 carbs on it.The short version of the story so far is for a couple days i had to run without a muffler because my collector got damaged and was being repaired, on one of those days the bike started "stuttering" at highway speed, I went to a buddies house, we synched the carbs, did a little dialing, and it seemed like it was running way to lean. so I get my collector back, put the exhaust back on, it still seems lean, I go through the long process of getting my main jets just right (so i thought) and now the bike runs horribly, at about 1/3-1/2 throttle in any gear it stutters hard and more often than not dies. So heres some info on my set up: k and n pod filters, 2 into 1 reverse cone megaphone exhaust, 150 main jets, i took the pilots up .002 from stock, the carbs are clean and all that, I have my airscrew out 3/4 quarters of a turn and according to my "plug test" the jetting should be ok, the electrode and porcelain are brown with a small amount of black.

Sorry to write a novel for ya but im running out of ideas on what to do, Im going to check my coils, compression, and valves tonight just in case but I doubt those things will have to much to do with my problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jordan

Read the Carb Guide in the tech section. You don't know dick about 650 carbs. 150 mains are way too big for these bikes. They have no "air" screw, it's a fuel regulating screw, and 3/4 of a turn out is just plain silly. Stock for your carb set is 2 1/4 turns out. Even modded, it should still be somewhere close to that. I have no clue what taking the pilots up .002 from stock means.

Something like this might help.:laughing:

Attachments

• an_ass_and_a_hole_in_the_ground.jpg
    an_ass_and_a_hole_in_the_ground.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 119
There was a time when every one of us didn't know anything about carbs.

jgalash7, the carb guide is here:
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Print it out, read it, try to figure it out and come back with questions, this forum is friendlier than it may seem, we will try to help you.

Along with everything else, check compression. It's not good when an engine that is being run way outside of "normal" carburation suddenly changes it's song.

If you really want them to take notice, tune your dual air horns at about 7 AM on a Sunday morning! I have 2 FIAMM trumpets off a Fiat with a Stebel compressor on my Road Star, and they make the cows crap when I hit them. Measured them with the meter at work. They are 123 Decibels @ 10 feet, and if you do not have hearing protection, they blur your vision like a top fuel car going by at the drag track!

It happened just yesterday. Working on and off on a CB350, had to put in new floats, one muffler is rotted, I had it off the bike. Fired the engine with new floats, only running on one jug, up down throttle made no difference. On a hunch I stuck my tenny on the end of the open header blocking most of the flow. Brrroom the dead cylinder fired right up, bike revved up and down fine. Removed my foot, cylinder went dead right now. Pipes matter a bunch!

It happened just yesterday. Working on and off on a CB350, had to put in new floats, one muffler is rotted, I had it off the bike. Fired the engine with new floats, only running on one jug, up down throttle made no difference. On a hunch I stuck my tenny on the end of the open header blocking most of the flow. Brrroom the dead cylinder fired right up, bike revved up and down fine. Removed my foot, cylinder went dead right now. Pipes matter a bunch!

Back