Head Bolts Retorque... time?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
How much city riding after top end rebuild to retorque head bolts? A tank of gas? Two? Miles don't help much since I have no tach :)

thanks,
adam

I did a ring job, and new cam chain on a bud's 80 including the head gasket, I retorqued it after a few heat cycles first, Than ran it to the corner store under good load, retorqued, then, checked the cam chain tensioner,(was loose after a run) got that back to spec, gave it back to him, he ran a few hundred miles, then brought it back, retorqued, adj'ed the cam chain, made sure the valves were still at .004/.006, gave it a oil change, cleaned the upper oil filter, checked the battery, took it for a 'personal touch' run, adj'ed the idle screw in on one side, buttoned her up, and did it all for free. should be good for a good long time, now. but I plan on doing it all again in a few hundred miles.
Too bad you dont live in washington, ide do it for you for free too!!

Damn man, I'm about one tank of gas deep, you'd have already done it twice by now. I guess I'll just turn some screws when I have some spare time in the next week or so. Thanks for the reply!

Adam

I did my first retorque after 40 miles. After reading some of the retorque threads here, it seems that may have been late... but the bike is still performing well.

that guy lives by the fair grounds. turn behind the ampm on meridian going up the hill, go under 512, go thru intersection, up hill, when hill flattens, he's at the top, brick house on the right. were you at shotgunjoe? Like to check out you bike. who knows, we might have bought our bikes from you. two 1980's one special, one standard. back in '06

that guy lives by the fair grounds. turn behind the ampm on meridian going up the hill, go under 512, go thru intersection, up hill, when hill flattens, he's at the top, brick house on the right. were you at shotgunjoe? Like to check out you bike. who knows, we might have bought our bikes from you. two 1980's one special, one standard. back in '06

Your welcome to check it out anytime. I'm on meridian near graham, barely even in puyallup to be honest. You definitely didn't buy them from me... I wish I did have some XS's back then, I wouldn't have sold them though. Took me 5 years to get my first one (just this year).

Sad part about my bike, I got it running the best it ever has, readjusting carbs and timing. Some how found the 'sweet spot', then blew the headgasket the next day. :doh: Amazingly she still runs well, just blows smoke till warm.

I am taking a break from working on her for now till I decide what to do with her. Instead I am getting things done on the one I'm building for my wife. Yes, I have an awesome wife who also loves these bikes. :thumbsup:

BTW; I spent that 5 years researching every bit of info I could find on these bikes... Im a little obsessive.

Back