Headlight assembly, pic needed

Sci85

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been wanting to do a 650 based build for some time now and finally ran across one that was too good to pass up price wise. The bad part is that the PO had already started the build and most everything is in boxes, unlabeled of course. Anyway, he at least bought some good parts.

I'm having some trouble figuring out the headlight mounting for what looks like a Mike's XS Tommaselli headlight bracket set. I found some square plastic pieces with a single rubber piece on it but there seems to be something missing to secure the bracket to the headlamp bucket (OEM).

09-0012.jpg

If someone has this bracket kit could you please post a pic or two of the mounting area so I can see what, if anything, I'm missing?

Thanks,

https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img250/09-0012.jpg

Yep, I looked over the fiche airwolfie thanks. But that doesn't show the outside connection and I believe the blinker was used as the connector. I can see that inside the bucket, you have a round plastic piece that has an inside square and another piece of rubber over that. But what is used on the outside to connect the bracket to the bucket. That's what I'm missing. BTW, I'm not using blinkers.

Thanks.

There is an oblong rubber, ( Damper 8), that fits in the original headlight bracket, and on the outside of that there is a metal oval piece (Collar 7), that the blinker sits against. They have a grove/protrusion that slot together so the blinker wont swivel up or down. Part of the collar (7), slips inside the damper in the light holder to hold everything in place.

Here is the semantic of the indicators and pieces. No 7 is the one you are talking about but if your not going to use an indicator a bolt and washer will do.

A link to http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html for semantics and part no, Some not the best quality but i haven't found any mistakes like some of the parts files from other sites have.

Attachments

• Special Indicators01.jpg
    Special Indicators01.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 138
Ok cool. That helps. So I guess I will have to find my own collar/bolt setup since the factory one only works with the factory blinkers right?

You're making this harder than it needs to be. All you need is a nut and bolt, maybe a couple washers, to replace the turn signal stalk. In the headlight, you will want to use that square holed grommet and plastic piece you found, parts 2 and 3 in this drawing .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...EADLIGHT XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

You can eliminate part 10/19 in the drawing 2 posts up, the ring terminal w/ short black wire. That was the ground wire for the signal.

I would use fender washers so they cover the entire grommet on your headlight ear and the one inside the bucket, also a lock washer under the nut. The threaded stud in the turn signal is nothing special, just a standard metric thread. If you get a metric bolt the same size, you can use the nut and lock washer from the stalk. I would use stainless, but that's just me.

As 5twins repeated for me. Use bolt and washers to suit.

Everything in the semantic i posted from can be deleted from 1 -20

Like 5twins said, stainless looks nice - I used stainless buttonhead screws; they don't look as clunky as hex head or regular cap screws would.

Back