headlight mount & Neutral switch

chrismd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
need some help if possible
what is the correct bolt size for the Headlight mount on the tree and the proper assembly.
the hole the bolt goes into is stripped out.
neutral switch connecter, best way to re-connect it
it was disconnected when the bike was given to me.
thanks,

It's not clear which headlight screws you're talking about.

The neutral switch, you push down on a washer with a spring behind it and it exposes some holes. You stick the neutral wire through the hole. If you mean how to wire it, I'd refer you to a wiring diagram,.

Oh thanks,
yes the mount on the triple trees, the only one area where to mount the headlight brace. the hole is stripped out and bolt will not get tight.
the neutral wire clip is disconnected and i just can't seem to get it on.
the bike needed a complete harness and decided to replace headlamp and make sure everything is good with the electrics. after that will work on the rectifier.
thanks,

6mm You could drill and tap the hole deeper and use a longer bolt. Or put in a helicoil or epoxy it in. or drill and tap for an 8mm diameter bolt. You didn't hear this from me :laugh: but a 1/4 20 is just a bit bigger, tap it for 1/4 20 use some thread loc and don't over tighten it.
Early neutral switches use the spring and hole later ones use a screw and ring connection.

the neutral wire clip is disconnected and i just can't seem to get it on.

The clip on my '81 came off any time I did anything to the bike, so I cut that connector off and stripped about 3/8" and just stuck it through the hole. Be sure yours has the holes; I guess it might not.

Back