Headlight

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of those 7" replacement headlights that has high, low, and running lights. Did some testing and it seems like the brown/black controls the running light. The white / blue control the hi/low and green to ground. But how am I supposed to wire this up as there was no diagram included with the light. Also, I am re-using controls from an old R6 that has low/high...no on/off switch. Can I wire one of the brown wire from my key switch and rely on the 25amp main fuse?

Do I wire to low always (don't care about driving light) ... this will match low beam on the switch. When I flip the hi beam on...do I just send signal to other wire? Or is it one or the other? Test showed brighter with power to blue and lighter to white.

Please advise. Last piece of the wiring for me.

Thanks,
Brent

Hi Brent,
the headlight should be switched to run the high OR the low filament in the headlight bulb, NOT both of them together.
Just because you might as well use it if it's there, you could operate the running light by connecting it to the rear light wire.

Picked up a 5-pin headlight relay at advance auto parts and wired it up. Worked like a charm the first time. For those that are interested in using a hi/lo switch, here is the hookup:

pin 85 - ground
pin 30 - power 12v +
pin 86 - trigger - wire output of hi/lo switch to this pin
pin 87 - high beam (will turn on when pin 86 get power)
pin 87a - low beam (normally closed so low beam will be on)

Attachments

• phpL7I9Wm.jpg
    phpL7I9Wm.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 89
Back