Headlights!! pictures please!!

andyxs

xs650 ***** browser
Reaction score
I'm trying to get ideas for the headlight I want on my bike. Suggestions? Any pictures of your headlight, how it looks on your bike, and the dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

I attached a pic of my project. Its an 81 with a tc bros hard tail

Attachments

• IMAG0284.jpg
    IMAG0284.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 260
That bike looks pretty damn good in the snow JP! Any chance you have a link to the headlight on amazon?

Attachments

• DSC02835.jpg
    DSC02835.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 231
That's very similar to what I want, I've been on fleabay looking around a lot. Everything I like is at least an $arm and a leg and in terrible shape though.

Yeah everything light wise seems to be wicked expensive for somethings that crap.

Thats why I figured I'd experiment with what ever i can find, just happened to find it in the river.:laugh:

This is what I'm putting on my Voodoo MK4 project. Picked it up at an antique market for $20.

It's a prototype fog-lamp made by Per-Lux Lights Canada. Was made in 1961 and submitted for approval to all the US States so they could start marketing it.

So what I have is an unused sample, mounted to a 12v transformer for lab testing. It plugs into the wall and lights up perfectly. It's a full stainless steel housing, with a 5 1/4" or so glass lens. It has louvres behind the glass.

Nice mount on the bottom, like a Bates headlight.

Neatest thing is it came with all the documentation. Sample marketing material, photograph showing some smiling lady putting it together, suggested retail pricing ($35 / pair back in 1961) and ALL the responses from the different States approving it for use on their highways!

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

if it has a transformer....its stepping 120vac down to 12vac more than likely....so its not needed. That Will work fine on good ole 12vDC as normal light bulbs dont care about AC or DC. As long as its the right voltage.

Neato find man,.

You can buy these lights still today for $20-$30 each on eBay. They still make them I think - model 200T.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=per+lux+200t&_sacat=0

Per Lux was bought up way back when. I got in contact with the current company and offered them this bundle of original paperwork, prototype light, photograph etc. and they never got back to me. So screw it - onto my bike it goes :)

if it has a transformer....its stepping 120vac down to 12vac more than likely....so its not needed. That Will work fine on good ole 12vDC as normal light bulbs dont care about AC or DC. As long as its the right voltage.

Neato find man,.

Yup - they're automotive fog lamps - just fine. Just dismantled it for the first time since 1961. It's sealed up tight, so there was some fine 1960 air in there :)

Clean as a whistle inside. GE bulb Made in USA. No wattage indicated on the bulb anywhere, and interestingly, labelled 13v. The transformer spits 12v out so all is fine.

Interesting combination of gaskets etc. to keep things water tight. The louvres are steel and keep the bulb in place, so they stay.

Going to mount very easily with a tiny L bracket mounted to the lower XS tree. The 2 6mm bungs for the old hydraulic line holders / brake light switch or whatever is normally bolted to the bottom tree of the XS should hold it well enough.

I'm lovin' this thread guys thank you for all the great ideas.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but a lot of the unity lights and old lights in general are 6 volt. Is there a way to convert them to 12 volt? or can you just run them how they are?

Back