Heated Parts Washer..... Long and big pic heavy!!

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
So I got me a Harbor Freight parts washer. I went to Tractor Supply and got the TSC-1000 petroleum based solution that I had read so much about. Well I gotta tell ya. I was not impressed. Especially for the $80 I spent for it. I wanted a miracle. :D On top of that, my pump worked 1 night with that stuff then it locked up. I can't say for sure that the TSC-1000 locked the pump, but you know you're not supposed to run petroleum based cleaners through these cheap parts washers. All I know is it wouldn't pump the next day. I thought maybe there was a piece of crud in there so I tore it apart. That thing was locked up solid.

So I'm bitchin and moanin about this parts washer not being worth a crap. Then my Son tells me he just cleaned a set of really nasty carbs with Purple Power. And they turned out great.

I know all about the fact that some of those cleaners doesn't play well with aluminum. But I think the trick is not to leave it in there too long. My Sons carbs had no ill effects.

So I filled the tank with 2 gallons of Purple Power and 7 gallons of water. I put a rear drum in there that had caked on grease around the sprocket that the TSC-1000 would not remove. Even after soaking a week. I let it soak about 1/2 hour. Pulled it out and hit it with a brush and the stuff came right off.

In the middle of all this I decided to try some heat. After all, you don't wash dishes in cold water.

I went to Home Depot and got me a 2,000 watt, 120 volt water heater element and a thermostat. Did the install and some custom wiring. Heck. I even put a pretty light on it so I would know it was on. :laugh:

I rotated the sprocket to a side I had not yet done. Turned the heat on and once up to temp (135*), I let it soak about 1/2 hour again. When I pulled it out I seen something running down the side. I thought I melted the the aluminum. :eek: But to my surprise it was the caked on grease. :D

I guess this mod isn't for everyone. But I'm tickled to death with it. If anyone want's specifics, just ask. I'm also open to criticism. Do you see any concerns, or areas for improvement. Lets hear it.

Oh ya. How hot should I run it. How hot does a dish washer get. You guys see any problems with getting my parts that hot.

Here was the hardest part. Bringing myself to drill a big ass hole in my brand new parts washer. :eek:
partswasher004_zps2f897364.jpg

I decided to put the heating element here. I was going to put it on the front, inline with the pump, but I didn't want any electric stuff in the way.
partswasher009_zpscbaf020a.jpg

For safety I built a wire cage around the element. Now I can sit a part on top of the cage if I need to. And if I get a really long part I can sit it diagonally across the tank.
20140404_183413_zps2bcb576f.jpg

A look at the back side.
partswasher016_zps39c730f1.jpg

I Shoe Gooed some plastic boxs on the back to enclose the electrical. Just a rough in here.
20140404_151848_zps2c22ad0c.jpg

Firing it up.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Kdvnc5feeOI

Starting to get warm.

Starting to cook.

Cooking at 135*

Please let me know what you think.

I do not recommend doing this with a petroleum based solution. Do your own research.

WOW!! There's been 65 view's and not one comment. Good, bad, or indifferent. I really thought you guy's would be all over this. :shrug:

Well it looks and sounds like a good idea. I had to subscribe to this one, just hoping it not dangerous to heat the solution up that far. Definitely will be building one if its safe lol. I hate scrubbing!:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

Well it looks and sounds like a good idea. I had to subscribe to this one, just hoping it not dangerous to heat the solution up that far. Definitely will be building one if its safe lol. I hate scrubbing!:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

From what I read you don't want to heat a petroleum based solution. Think :eek:''KABOOM'':eek: They actually say you don't need to.

But the water based stuff benefits a lot from it.

Cal I would re-locate the heating element out of the solution. Try heating the solution before it enters the rank. I have seen heating elements rupture in the past.

Looks good for small parts and with very managable cleanup. It should handle up to 180deg, that high may not be nessesary though. But I suggest raising in increments of 10deg depending on the job for safety. Monitoring for hot spots as you go.
These are worth their weight in gold!: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=infrared+temperature+gun
You might have to raise the fluid level so as to not boil that area too much, unless aggitation is desired. I also wonder of the effect the hot fluid would have on the pump assembly, if any:shrug:. I tend to dabble with a few ....different.... materials. Left to right; automatic petrol solvent/veg oil based tumbler, vintage solvent/veg oil hand parts washer (both unheated), and my former industrial dishwasher, now plumbed with 180 deg sodium hydroxide!:D Not to forget the pressure washer outside at the ready. And yes I realize sodium hydroxide is murder on aluminum and alloys, but I work on more than just bikes:wink2:.

Attachments

• S4023889.JPG
    S4023889.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 162
Cal I would re-locate the heating element out of the solution. Try heating the solution before it enters the rank. I have seen heating elements rupture in the past.

Thanks for the concern. But that would mean additional cost. I'm done spending money on this $64 parts washer. :rolleyes:

If you're thinking my safety being an issue, I have 2 methods of protection.

1. I'm not going to have my hands in there with the heater running. That's why I put a red warning light on it so to speak.

2. There is a cage built around the element. Hopefully that would stop any shrapnel from taking my head off in case of a situation like that. :eek:

Again. Thanks for the warning and concern.

Looks good for small parts and with very managable cleanup. It should handle up to 180deg, that high may not be nessesary though. But I suggest raising in increments of 10deg depending on the job for safety. Monitoring for hot spots as you go.
These are worth their weight in gold!: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=infrared+temperature+gun
You might have to raise the fluid level so as to not boil that area too much, unless aggitation is desired. I also wonder of the effect the hot fluid would have on the pump assembly, if any:shrug:. I tend to dabble with a few ....different.... materials. Left to right; automatic petrol solvent/veg oil based tumbler, vintage solvent/veg oil hand parts washer (both unheated), and my former industrial dishwasher, now plumbed with 180 deg sodium hydroxide!:D Not to forget the pressure washer outside at the ready. And yes I realize sodium hydroxide is murder on aluminum and alloys, but I work on more than just bikes:wink2:.

1. I'm not going to go over 140*. I used Shoe Goo to glue on my plastic electrical boxes. It works very well for gluing all kinds of things. But it will only handle 150*. So I think 140* is about it for me.

2. I can run the pump at the same time circulating the solution very well.

3. I have a temp gun. You can see it in the vid's. I agree. They are great.

4. I too am concerned if the pump will handle the heat. I'll let you know. :D

Reviving a dormant thread here.

I've just finished tearing down my engine and want to hot tank the cases using water/degreaser/detergent.

I'll probably build my own rig from scratch as I have most of the materials on hand.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what to use for a circulator pump. How has your pump held up to circulating hot liquid?

Also, I'm considering a filtering system, but not sure what sort of filter should be used on a water/detergent solution. Paper media oil filters don't seem like a good idea.

It's really weird you brought this up. I'm just getting ready to use it today. :laugh:

Honestly, I've only used it very little since I built it. It's has been sitting dormant all year. I did fire it up about a month ago and it worked just fine.

The filters that come on that paticular pump is just a cheap white scott brite looking pad. There's been guys that just go nuts with filter systems. I would say if you're going to use it a lot a better filter is in order. But if you're cheap like me..... I've also read that Northern Tool sells a better replacement pump.

I probably should have pulled the pump out in the off season. I let you know in a bit if it's a puddle of goo or not. :D

...The only thing I'm not sure of is what to use for a circulator pump. How has your pump held up to circulating hot liquid?

Also, I'm considering a filtering system, but not sure what sort of filter should be used on a water/detergent solution. Paper media oil filters don't seem like a good idea.

Could look into those budget 'hand power drill attachment' pumps.

Friend of mine had an older Culligan water filter, with a rebuildable cartridge. Simply unscrew and remove the filter core, then re-wrap with filter batting. Looked similar to the item in this link. Seen something similar used for swimming pools.

http://www.culligan.com/en-us/d/homes/whole-house-water-filters/high-efficiency/

Yeah, I think a whole-house water filter might do the trick, assuming it will flow enough. I want to move quite a bit of water to get the agitation effect to clean out the nooks and crannies.

I've been using mine for most of about 2 weeks solid, it's been running the whole time. I pull out the inlet filter once a day and clean it off, seems to help a bit. I keep mine around 140-150, so it's tough grabbing parts from inside, but it works pretty well. Nothing like the glass bead blaster I have access to though!!

My setup is mostly identical to this one too, guess good ideas are consistent!!

Well, I started gathering bits and building my washer.

Details and pix are available on Shopbuilt, a forum I put together for folks like me that like to tinker and build useful stuff out of whatever sort of junk we have laying around.

Feel free to surf around on that site while you're there.

Well, I started gathering bits and building my washer.

Details and pix are available on Shopbuilt,

I like it. Got some greeezy parts here, I'll be right over.

... a forum I put together for folks like me that like to tinker and build useful stuff out of whatever sort of junk we have laying around...

Like a twin-engine Cessna? Pretty healthy junkpile...

Ya know those elements do short out from time to time ? I don't know if it would be a really good idea to have your hands in that solvent tank if it ever decided to go boom.:yikes:
Look on craigslist and find yourself an old $50.00 dishwasher,they make really good parts washers.And when it goes so south just scrap it and buy another one.:)

Use the dishwasher to degunk the parts before you glass bead them,Its a lot easier than slopping them around in dirty old solvent.
After theyre degunked its a lot easier to detail them,its a lot easier than chasing parts after you blast them with a pressure washer or carwash hose sending them flying.:laughing:
Been there,done that

I finished my version of the hot water parts washer. Details and a short video here.

I just reviewed your video.........................very well done:thumbsup:. I'm sure that will be a useful item to have in the garage.

I also just happened to see Jay Leno with a video of his "green" parts washer. I'm sure it could be bought for a $1000 dollars or more, which would be pocket change to Jay.

Just a thought...................if you don't already use a GFI on the 120V supply, it would add a good safety factor.

Back