Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit From Mike's xs ???

You may need the torque inserts for both the collector and at the head. Pipe size on most 2-1's is just too big. Scabber may have some positive input there but since he presents it in a manner worse than a 3rd grader might do, nobody really understands what he's saying, lol.

What main jet were you running with stock needles I never found the shell cam to fall on its face above 6500 it just pulls harder below the heiden pipe is at its best 6500 rpm to red line it is the peaks an valleys in the system that makes it hard tune. what ever works for you go with.

You may need the torque inserts for both the collector and at the head. Pipe size on most 2-1's is just too big. Scabber may have some positive input there but since he presents it in a manner worse than a 3rd grader might do, nobody really understands what he's saying, lol.

What part didn't you understand 5 twins 1st Grader the jet setting 135 main 45 piolet stock needle or was it the fact that you did not look at or understand the Dyno print out on mikes site that shows the peformance that exhaust puts out and the rpm it does it. When Ernie tried the stock needle He was runnig a 47.5 piolet not shure what main jet the stumble He got at 4500 RPM could have been bleed thrue From the larger piolet once the slides opened fully. He cured the off idle stumble when Once he removed the washer. We may never know for shure. It all about the right air fuell mixture no matter what needles you chose. :thumbsup:

47.5 pilot, 145 main (WOT stumble with 147.5) Stock needles stumble at 4.5k. Heiden needles full-up don't stumble, except for just a little bit just off idle at 2k. If I could find my #45 pilots I might have this combo nailed... except for fucking up my carb balance yesterday. And my banjo-bolt switch leaking brake fluid out the wires, and the oil leaks...

:D

If you use the 145 main jet with the stock needle the 4500 RPM stumble was more than likely from the main jet dumping too mutch fuel since the exhaust performs well at that RPM the stumble not caused by the exhaust. The 47.5 Piolet and 135 main my guess.

I'm not going to touch the main, I've had the 135 pilot and the 145 runs better, it doesn't rich-stumble on top until I use the 147.5, so the 145 stays. ;)

With the Heiden needles full-up, there's only a little stumble at 2000rpm as I open the throttle. Next step is to swap the #47.5 pilot for a #45 and see if that goes away, and if my mileage goes up from 42-45, then I'll be plenty happy and stop messing with my carbulaters.

The BS34s normally get 50-55 MPG. If you get much less, that's a sign that you're over-jetted.

Scabber, what I don't understand is your presentation. It's terrible ....

What part didn't you understand 5 twins 1st Grader the jet setting 135 main 45 piolet stock needle or was it the fact that you did not look at or understand the Dyno print out on mikes site that shows the peformance that exhaust puts out and the rpm it does it. When Ernie tried the stock needle He was runnig a 47.5 piolet not shure what main jet the stumble He got at 4500 RPM could have been bleed thrue From the larger piolet once the slides opened fully. He cured the off idle stumble when Once he removed the washer. We may never know for shure. It all about the right air fuell mixture no matter what needles you chose.

...... that whole massive mess and just a couple periods? No capitals at sentence beginnings? Terrible spelling? Like I said, I'm thinking you may have some positive input - but you just can't put it across.

I was never an English Major in school nor did I ever give much thought to it - until I started posting on the internet. The whole world can see and read this. What you write and how you write it pretty much gives the world an idea about the level of education you reached. Granted, we're motorcycle guys, we don't have to be that smart - but it would be nice if we could understand one another. Scabber, I can't understand your posts. Call me stupid if you like but they're just Greek to me. Puzzles I don't need to solve.

650 Central who gets a lot of good comments on here has the same type of kit ..."650 Central now offers the finest BS34 jet kit available, featuring Grade 2 titanium (98.9% pure) needles and genuine Mikuni jets." FYI It's in the Carburation OEM section.

the needles are slotted and, with all the good comments he gets, when I am ready for my exhaust mod I will probably go with this kit.

I'm pretty sure any extra fueling right now is in the Pilot jet circuit, hopefully I can get the #45's back in this weekend and do another mileage ride. The midrange and top end pulls like a demon with the Heiden's full-up... too bad I had to drill holes in the hold-down disks to get everything back together. There is a LOT of adjustment range on those needles, but even full-rich is a touch longer than the stock needles are.

I'm still not convinced that these are the best-executed needles ever made, but they do work quite well with my set-up. I should get this thing on a dyno and see just what's happening in there.

650 Central who gets a lot of good comments on here has the same type of kit ..."650 Central now offers the finest BS34 jet kit available, featuring Grade 2 titanium (98.9% pure) needles and genuine Mikuni jets." FYI It's in the Carburation OEM section.

the needles are slotted and, with all the good comments he gets, when I am ready for my exhaust mod I will probably go with this kit.

That's the same Heiden/XS Performance/Mike's XS kit.
I'm willing to bet, if you're NOT going to run a 2-1 exhaust, you'll hate it. So far, nobody's chimed in on that point, I'd love to hear about 2-2 pipes and these needles.

That's the same Heiden/XS Performance/Mike's XS kit.
I'm willing to bet, if you're NOT going to run a 2-1 exhaust, you'll hate it. So far, nobody's chimed in on that point, I'd love to hear about 2-2 pipes and these needles.

That is an interesting thought. I went to both sites and the picture associated with the kit is the same one. What was different is now the same?

Ernie, it's very easy to overjet the mains on these carburetors. If you're one step down from a rich stumble at WOT you've got them too fat, and that's going to produce problems upstream.

Well Fuck you 5twins:poke: YOU are an ignorant ass hole and very rude with it. First off my comments were not directed for for your benifit. You don't know shit about the BS 34 carbs to start with. Your comment about the carbs being lean from the factory is wrong. Yamaha jeted them corectly great gas milage and no black plugs. You think you know it all that's your problem. YOU are just a Dork ! :D:agree: Now back to perfomance and Jeting. From stock to modified. Stock exhaust changed Mikes 2 into2 shorty Emglo muffler. I took the advice of the so called exprerts changed it to a 135. The bike ran ritch from the spark plug reading. The conclusion. From the peformance aspect, the larger 1 1/2 pipe increased exhaust flow and increased velosity on the intake side and the ability of carb to provide fuel through the the main jet as the slides open and the needles off the seat. The stock 132.5 a better choice for the new exhaust. Up grade 750cc Shell #1 cam ported head same exhaust same 135 main jet the bike ran strong to red line . It had a small surge at slow cruse aruond 3500 RPM a larger piolet jet would have cured that. I jumped off the deep end bought the xsjohn needles. More slots to play with. :D

Ernie, it's very easy to overjet the mains on these carburetors. If you're one step down from a rich stumble at WOT you've got them too fat, and that's going to produce problems upstream.

I'm not seeing it in the plugs, and it goes like stink. maybe I"ll pick up a pair of 142.5's this weekend (if the shop is open). I think I'm cornered into downsizing the pilot air bleed to get the low-speed set properly. #45 is quite a bit lean, #47 is just too rich, think if I go #45 and back down the air bleed a size or too, things may straighten out.
Even with the rich jet the thing wouldn't idle under 1,400rpm. Maybe less air and less fuel will give me less RPM... hmmmmm....

also: That 'Kung-Fu' coil and NGK Irridium .050" set up is serious Kung-Fu indeed.

Yes, the air jets are a little used way to fine tune the pilot circuit on the 34s. I could provide you with a little more info on that but apparently I don't know shit about the BS34 carbs to begin with, lol. That's probably why XS John asked me to help him develop some of his needles. He would send me needles, I would test them, take cylinder temp readings, comment on performance (better or worse). I would send them back and he would tweak them some more, then return them to me for more testing. This went on until we were satisfied with the results. I have probably one of the very few sets of BS38 XS John needles ever made in my carbs. So I guess he asked me to help because I have little or no carb knowledge? I don't think so, lol, lol.

I wish I coulda just drag raced xsjohn with my totally stock setup.

I don't think his bike was very fast off the line. He had it geared to the moon (18-29) and lowered the compression by stacking 2 head gaskets on it. For him, it was all about getting it to cruise smoothly for hours on the interstate at 70 to 80. I told him to buy a BMW, lol.

5twins I don't question your vast knowledge of the BS 38 since you run them on your bike. The rest of the story. Most of XS johns knowledge on the BS 34 carb set up was based on a stock 650 motor not a modified 750 I tried his needles and the 49 piolet and the 135 main jet the bike ran worse than the stock set up I took out :wtf: The bike was way too fat down low, stumble and bog then catch and run strong. Another expert opinion. I talked to him on the phone and he said he never set up carbs for a modified 750 motor. Back to square one John got killed in a car crash before I got a chance to tell him what worked on a modified motor with his needles. LOL :thumbsup:

Back