Helicoil inserts

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I need to stock up on M6 x 1.00 Helicoil inserts. I looked on line and there’s lots of wanna be Helicoil inserts available. Their descriptions read: “Helicoil type”. Is an insert an insert and they all use the same dimension tap, or should I only be using Helicoil brand inserts, with my Helicoil tap? There’s a significant price difference. The no name brand will sell you 100 pcs for nearly the same price of 12 pcs of genuine Helicoil stuff. Any experience mixing different manufacturers?

I Know that Helicoil and Recoil are the same. The cross-section shape of the coil wire is set by the form of the thread it's meant to replace. I would suspect that it would boil down to the precision the coil and coil wire is made with.
Bottom line, they'll probably be fine, but you may get a 'sticky' thread as you turn the screw in.
Hope that helps.

I Know that Helicoil and Recoil are the same. The cross-section shape of the coil wire is set by the form of the thread it's meant to replace. I would suspect that it would boil down to the precision the coil and coil wire is made with.
Bottom line, they'll probably be fine, but you may get a 'sticky' thread as you turn the screw in.
Hope that helps.
I suppose I can buy the cheaper brand and do some experiments to see how good the fit is and how much torque they’ll hold. If I end up doing this I’ll post up my findings.

Update - just ordered 12 pcs of the genuine stuff from my local industrial supplier and 100 pcs from Amazon. Same price +/- $1.00. Amazon is probably cheaper as they’ll drop it off at the front door. Lol. I’ll do torque tests in steel and aluminum when I get them. Once received I’ll be in an “over stock” situation so if anybody needs some lmk. No charge for the locals and postage only for others.

Last edited:
I researched thread repairs a long time ago, and came up with the conclusion that Helicoil is only okay, and almost anything else is better. I think Recoil is very good.

Having said that, whenever one of my kits gets low, I buy Chinese replacement inserts, either on eBay or from AliExpress. They work just fine with the drills and taps in my original kits.
So now, when I need a size I don't have, I buy the whole kit Chinese. They work just fine at a fraction of the cost.

I researched thread repairs a long time ago, and came up with the conclusion that Helicoil is only okay, and almost anything else is better. I think Recoil is very good.

Having said that, whenever one of my kits gets low, I buy Chinese replacement inserts, either on eBay or from AliExpress. They work just fine with the drills and taps in my original kits.
So now, when I need a size I don't have, I buy the whole kit Chinese. They work just fine at a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for the intel. I’m disappointed to hear Helicoil is not near the top of the list. My thread repair kits vary from Helicoil, Recoil to Amazon Chinese stuff. I’ll keep your recommendations in mind the next time I need another size.

Keep in mind that besides the different diameter sizes, you will also need different lengths in those sizes. And looks are deceiving. Once installed, a coil will be longer than it is just sitting there. The lengths are based on the diameter and labeled as such (1D, 1.5D, 2D, etc.). So, as an example, an M6 coil of 2D length would be about 12mm long.

Keep in mind that besides the different diameter sizes, you will also need different lengths in those sizes. And looks are deceiving. Once installed, a coil will be longer than it is just sitting there. The lengths are based on the diameter and labeled as such (1D, 1.5D, 2D, etc.). So, as an example, an M6 coil of 2D length would be about 12mm long.
Yes I was thinking about that. Perhaps I should get some longer inserts. If too long they can still be trimmed. Thx @5twins

Just ordered this since I didn’t have different M6 lengths.

9F552177-CB9D-492C-A605-71F232F3E144.png

Yes, the M6 seems to be the most commonly needed size for repairs. However, on carbs, you will need M4's (BS38 bowls) and M5's (BS38 tops, BS34 bowls and tops). I have a BS38 top that needs one right now, on my original '78 carb set. I'm finally giving them a proper, full rebuild (butterfly shaft seals). I had gone through them years ago but only replaced o-rings and the left side shaft seals (because you can change them without removing the shafts). Back then, I didn't have the proper tools for shaft removal (good J.I.S. bits and a T-handle driver for them).

I’ve probably used 50+ cheap helicoil knock offs in the last year. Mostly m5-m8. All on something mechanical. Probably 15 on my cb750 motor.

No issues.

I need to stock up on M6 x 1.00 Helicoil inserts. I looked on line and there’s lots of wanna be Helicoil inserts available. Their descriptions read: “Helicoil type”. Is an insert an insert and they all use the same dimension tap, or should I only be using Helicoil brand inserts, with my Helicoil tap? There’s a significant price difference. The no name brand will sell you 100 pcs for nearly the same price of 12 pcs of genuine Helicoil stuff. Any experience mixing different manufacturers?
I've used the ebay / amazon helicoil cheapies for years and not had any problems.
Even used them in exhaust stud holes and no trouble with them.

There are better thread repairs than helicoil style, however the price goes up pretty quick. Timesert is good, but spendy. It's a better choice for drain plugs or similar. Most bike stuff helicoil will be fine, helicoil also takes the least oversize hole to use most of the time.

Perhaps if you bought a torque wrench you wouldn't need so many helicoils? :D
Actually I own 5 very high quality torque wrenches ranging in capacity from 7 in lbs to 350 ft lbs and religiously torque all fasteners to spec. My problem is the previous owner mustn’t have had one.

Actually I own 5 very high quality torque wrenches ranging in capacity from 7 in lbs to 350 ft lbs and religiously torque all fasteners to spec. My problem is the previous owner mustn’t have had one.
Yeah, I've had a few where the PO (or one of the many) obviously stopped when the fastener spun.

Back