Helicoil?

cjrenick

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the 4m inserts to take care of my stripped carb bowl threads. I figured since I have metric taps could just use those. It looks like you have to use their specific tap though. Is this correct? Looked all over the internet to come up with the correct tap size for these inserts and have had no luck.

Yep, that's their "gotcha", you need their special tap. I don't use Heli-coil kits, I use a brand called Perma-Coil. Same thing, same inserts, cheaper price. They're the same way with their "special" taps though. The tap isn't labeled with what size it really is, just with what size insert it works for.

Yes, just the inserts. The guy at the parts counter did not know what he was talking about then. He said save your self $25 and just get inserts if you already have taps a set of taps at home. Guess I will be returning the inserts and paying the $30-$40 for the kit. Thinking I might just try to tap the hole out to 5mm and just go that route.

I just bought a kit today, go to oriellys or autozone.. they had the size I needed instock, but if they dont theyll order it from the warehouse which takes like half a day.

Autozone is a ripoff. I bought a helicoil kit for $30 and it only comes with 3! Haha. Now I got a useless tool...

Posted via Mobile

You can buy just the coil inserts when you run out. I got a bunch from McMaster Carr in various lengths. Those Perma-Coil kits I have use the same inserts as Heli-coil kits.

Back