hell build

bonesaw

Huney__Bear
Reaction score
Going through hell this summer.every ride I'm left stranded.once my bike warms up it sputters,un responsive throttle ect..I realize this is a symptom of rich settings on my carbs.plugs look good though.

Cleaned carbs numerous times.sprayed for leaks with carb cleaner while bikes warm.
Ordered new iridium plugs. New wires. Coil was installed in the spring and was swapped with a known working coil. Same issue. Sometimes it runs perfect all day long**
Could this be over heating?

I've been running 15w40 rotella t in the winter and didn't change it.im thinking it's keeping my motor to hot and over heating..70-80 degree days high humidity.

I'm looking to try castrols v-twin 4t 20w-50 for a summer time oil.

Is this a good move or should I stick with rotella t?

Bike info
750 kit
Xs performance cam
Keihin carbs 100 main 40 pilot.
Pamco mechanical advance setup
Hughs pma (running a battery)
120pounds each cylinder

I'll mess with that tonight,I did plugs and wires and it seemed to be doing fine.one wire had worn out sheathing I must have over looked previously. Thankyou for the reply.

Bad coil will do this once it heats up if it is bad you will not get correct spark.
Also if its cracked or wires cracked. Fire it up in dark and see if you have spark jumping around to ground. I had a Honda do this and cold it ran great as soon as it got hot POPPED out exhaust and studdered. Let it sit and all good again.
What year and what are you running PAMCO/BOYER/STOCK points/TCI????
What carbs and jets 34mm 38mm????? Open exhaust Pods or stock air filter????
Got to look at everything

Bad coil will do this once it heats up if it is bad you will not get correct spark.
Also if its cracked or wires cracked. Fire it up in dark and see if you have spark jumping around to ground. I had a Honda do this and cold it ran great as soon as it got hot POPPED out exhaust and studdered. Let it sit and all good again.
What year and what are you running PAMCO/BOYER/STOCK points/TCI????
What carbs and jets 34mm 38mm????? Open exhaust Pods or stock air filter????
Got to look at everything
Pwk flat slide carbs 40pilot 100main needle in middle position.pamco Hall effect with mechanical advance open pipes and pancake filters.ran fine the other day... But not today,extremely high humidity tonight.Plugs are wet....

No electrical arcing and ruled out gas cap.thank you guys for the replys

I had some bad luck with those Carbs when they were first offered. Three out of three bad....Won't idle.....Popping threw pipes....
If plugs are wet that's could be week spark or Carbs not set correct.
Did you change jets or is that what came in them.

That's what I've set them at. ...I'm wishing now I just went with makuni vm34. Will probably go that route...

I did notice a bit of pinging or what I assume is pinging. Possible my timing mark is off a few un noticed degrees and I'm to far advanced? (Wet plugs)

Going to try and retard it and see what I get.

Thanks again for your reply.

I had some bad luck with those Carbs when they were first offered. Three out of three bad....Won't idle.....Popping threw pipes....
If plugs are wet that's could be week spark or Carbs not set correct.
Did you change jets or is that what came in them.
I am having similar issues popping through pipes and won't idle.it will idle the cam if I have the idle screws in,then it leaves my idle hanging when coming to a stop

I would try a set of stock carbs if you know someone who may have a set to try. I just don't have any faith in those. For racing YES

Update* hooked battery up to jumper cables and all problems remedied.pma seemed to be making enough power to run the bike but that battery is shot and won't charge...just dropped another 175 on a battery

Cool your not that far from me. Have you ever gone over to the WAWA on 70 bikers meet up there on weekends and some nice bikes show up.

Cool your not that far from me. Have you ever gone over to the WAWA on 70 bikers meet up there on weekends and some nice bikes show up.
My grandma lives in whiting I'm there a lot before I hit the road!

Thread purposes=

My pma was throwing out enough juice to power the bike but a dead cell in my battery wouldn't accept a charge.giving off tons of "ignition" issues. Hope someone reads this before going through the hell i went through!!!

At least everything's replaced/wiring was gone through!!

Back