Hello all

prosnomonkey

Total No0b
Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Jeremy and as indicated I am a total n00b to motorcycles. I have never ridden except for when I took the MSF course last summer. I am looking to buy my first bike and I have a couple of questions. I did read the bike buyer checklist on this site so I have that in mind. Looking around I am finding I really dig the xs650 and there is one in my neck of the woods that a guy is selling for 1500. The pics of the bike make it look pretty good (of course its pics of a bike a guy is selling so...) from the pics it is clean and the paint isn't faded. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Here is the CL ad

"1981 Yamaha xs650 special in really nice condition.
Miles 6,496. Newer tires, new battery last year, new mirrors. Is fun and beautiful to ride. Has power. Gets about 50mpg. Only downsides is it Has a small tear in seat about 6-8 inches long along the seam- easily fixable. The turn signals have recently started acting up.Every now and then they don't want to work. Husband says that it did this years ago when he first got it and the problems was dirty grounds and some corrosion. Says if you take a brush to it and clean them, they will start working again."

As a new rider I know its best to buy a bike that runs well so I don't have to work on it. However, I am mechanically inclined (basic maintenance and repair on all the trucks I've owned) and I am willing to get my hands dirty though at the moment I really don't have a place to work except my gravel driveway.

What do you guys think? Will I have to put in a lot of work on this? Generally speaking about the xs650 I mean, I know you can't tell about this specific bike. What is your experience in buying this kind of bike? Essentially, should I be looking at something newer and/or more likely to run well?

Thanks for all the help
Jeremy:thumbsup:

Thanks for your help

Hi Jeremy,
Welcome to the site!
It is low mileage if correct and with some care along the way may be a really nice bike.
At that mileage you should expect another 9-10k before anything requiring removing the motor.
I would expect to replace the brushs, chain, sprockets, air filters, maybe the tires even if "newer".
I would plan on cleaning electrical connections, carbs, retorque the head, adjusting cam chain and valves, breaking system and fork oil.
Not that I really do any of that shit but from reading seems that most would/should.

Soooo real life I've bought (ahem) a couple of these. Those that ran needed little, other than gas to ride. Maybe they didn't run tip top but they rode. Those that didn't weren't that difficult to get running. As to if you can do it on gravel? I never had a cement floored shop till after 40. Tarps are reasonable priced a couple of pvc pipes for hoops wala you got a shop.

Back