Helmet comparison help

shredzorv2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ive been searching for a good open faced retro style helmet, I like the look of the Biltwell and the Bell. I recently tried on the Bell 500 and it felt SO big and bulky (felt kinda goofy). Does anyone know if there are any similar helmets that are more low profile?

Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks guys

For a DOT open face they are all going to have that space balls helmet look... The only way to get away from that look is a non-DOT Biltwell but then you are putting your noodle at risk... I have seen a comparison of the new Biltwell DOT Hustler - Bell 500 - Fulmer V2 and the new Biltwell DOT Hustler look to be the smallest profile of each : http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=page_view&p=faq#DOTFAQ

I like the Rockhard open face helmet : http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/32567/ITEM/Rockhard-American-Classic-Helmet.aspx

Sorry I couldn't be much more help than that.

Ebay search Fulmer AF-20 between (50-300$) thats the Lowest profile I know of in a 3/4 helmet

for something Like a Bell 500 .. I have a Sparx and Its GREAT !!! came with visor and googles .. they are great prices DOT and have some trippy designs

Might wanna check them out

www.sparxhelmets.com

Biltwell seems to be the standard out there, but I have a Daytona cruiser and there's no difference I can see outside or size wise but the biltwell has a nicer lining. The rock hard helmets look pretty decent as well. I haven't seen one up close yet though

Biltwell all the way but the Daytona did look pretty close though I never tried one on my buddy has a loser machine helmet pretty cool but novelty

I like Vega helmets. The are the only ones I can find that fit me well and don't look ridiculously huge.

i have a licks dot , and a Biltwell dot . the biltwell has a very nice lining, but kinda big on my head, it also lifts up a little when at highway speed. the licks helmet is really light and small. fits well does not lift up at speed. i did have to dig a little foam out to get it to be more comfortable

Thanks for the help guys, Im really tempted to go novelty after trying on the DOT Bell. I looked ridiculous. hah

A thread was posted today about a guy who is hanging on to his life after a crash, not to take away from the tragedy but it seems he may have been wearing his cool non dot helmet

Better to look a bit silly than being dead or worse brain damaged.

Buying without trying will get you an ill fitting helmet. When i did try different ones of the same size on they went from sloppy to can't get it over my wingnuts

Is there anything between a full face and 3/4? I have both but prefer the 3/4, like the wind in my face. I was thinking something like a football kickers helmet, open faced but with a lower chin bar. Sort of a full face with a bigger opening.

I've got a medium Lick's NovDot. It doesn't fit my head and lifts when at highway speed. My head is 22.25" and by their sizing chart I should have got a large. The small at 21" seems much too small, but I could modify it to make it bigger inside. I wonder if the shell is the same size between the medium and small. If so I'll just reline mine. Anyway, it sucks to have my helmet lifting.

Back