Helmet Painting

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I remember once being told not to put stickers etc on my helmet as the glue can weaken the helmets structure.

Is this related to composite helmets, fibreglass, & carbonfibre?

Also can we custom paint helemts and still have them safe to use?

I love these but of course they are not approved here!

4TOXICO.jpg

zac2.JPG

4goldleafkanji.jpg

4BLACKACES.jpg

4ironandresin.jpg

that's the dumbest thing I ever heard!
I think what you may have missed is sometimes at swap meets, or ebay, someone takes a old helmet, and repaints it like new. the problem is the foam inside a old helmet breaks down, or gets hard over time.
Making a new helmet look old is OK, painting a old helmet to look new is not OK.
I like the flying anvil one the best.

I used to have a Nolan helmet and it was a welded plastic shell, maybe it only applied to those? I can't see why it would affect a quality gel coated helmet.

G'day mate.

I went through the same research myself.

After speaking to the guys at Rjays, they unofficially mentioned that with the correct prep utilising plastic safe primers, etc it will not be an issue.

http://www.rjays.com.au/home/products/helmets-sturgis-platinum.html

In fact the Rjays employee that helped my over the phone, saw my helmet once completed and really liked the way it turned out.

As long as you don't remove the AS/NZS1698 sticker during the paint process, the helmet is still legal within Australia.

I did everything other than the pin striping myself (well my misses did help with Pepe).

The guy that pin striped my helmet mentioned that with the right materials it won't cause any problems with the integrity of the helmet or break any laws.

5969719540_052fc51352_z.jpg

_DSC0024 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969722034_ee1e9d7a74_z.jpg

_DSC0080_1 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969724534_5d84322ec1_z.jpg

_DSC0086 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969169603_0b3dba90d2_z.jpg

_DSC0083 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969172197_000c11bcd9_z.jpg

_DSC0092 by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969731750_1687459952_z.jpg

_DSC0105 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

5969177131_a1da62ebeb_z.jpg

_DSC0101_1 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

Cheers.

Steve.

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

Ha!

Actually, I knocked up the design and did the bulk of the artwork myself. She helped with the finer details like Pepe's face and body.

There wouldn't be enough room on the helmet if I let her come up with her ideal descriptions for me! :laugh:

A friend showed me his "new" helmet was the same old one, he used spray-on plasti-dip, flat black. Looked really good. Said he just sprayed right over the face sheild and trimmed w/an Exacto and peeled it right off. Likely doesnt have the life span of paint but....
Seems plasti-dip is becoming very popular these days for more than just tool coating, I've seen cars "coated" w/it.

Posted via Mobile

My re-worked HJC Symax. Started out white. Themed for my military service, it has Army Aircrew wings front and center, the map symbol for our unit (looks like crap, I did it) the inverted V on the back, a counterweight Velcro patch ( we wore weights on the back of the helmet to balance them when wearing NVGs) a spot of scotchlite tape on top (to ID friendlies on the ground at night) The 9th ID "flaming asshole" left rear (did not photograph as good as it looks) and the 2/9th Aviation Bn. crest on the right rear. The tail number of my Blackhawk from Iraq is on both sides of the chin bar, in the font that is used on the aircraft. Army vets get all of it. My wife don't. Oh well.
Epoxy appliance paint over fiberglass shell and surfacer.

DSC00273_zps9fffef03.jpg

IMG_20130531_201334_zpsc660ec3e.jpg

IMG_20130531_201255_zpse584f761.jpg

IMG_20130531_201242_zps91f8efb2.jpg

IMG_20130531_201313_zps306290ed.jpg

I remember once being told not to put stickers etc on my helmet as the glue can weaken the helmets structure.

Is this related to composite helmets, fibreglass, & carbonfibre?

Also can we custom paint helemts and still have them safe to use?

I love these but of course they are not approved here!

4TOXICO.jpg

zac2.JPG

4goldleafkanji.jpg

4BLACKACES.jpg

4ironandresin.jpg

Where can you buy these helmets painted with the graphics in the photos?

Back