Helmets, I didn't know that!

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As the Smokies Rally approaches I was dreading my full face Bell for hours on end.. It pushes in on my cheeks near the lower front though the rest of the fit is good. I examined it a little and got the exacto knives out to perform a little surgery on the offending area. I then realized the piece was removable, that would make cutting it easier. Out it came and I noticed a label on the back, "40 MM". Hmmmmmmm? A quick search of the Bell website and I found they supply them in 5 MM increments, 20MM to 40MM. New 20MM inserts went in and now my Helmet is a happy place.

As the Smokies Rally approaches I was dreading my full face Bell for hours on end.. It pushes in on my cheeks near the lower front though the rest of the fit is good. I examined it a little and got the exacto knives out to perform a little surgery on the offending area. I then realized the piece was removable, that would make cutting it easier. Out it came and I noticed a label on the back, "40 MM". Hmmmmmmm? A quick search of the Bell website and I found they supply them in 5 MM increments, 20MM to 40MM. New 20MM inserts went in and now my Helmet is a happy place.
I had to do that to my Arai helmet. It was trying to push my teeth in.

I have the same problem with my recently purchased HJC C10 helmet. There are 20mm cheek pads I can get for $35, but hate spending that much more on a $100 helmet. I think I'll try the surgery solution first.

I have the same problem with my recently purchased HJC C10 helmet. There are 20mm cheek pads I can get for $35, but hate spending that much more on a $100 helmet. I think I'll try the surgery solution first.
I think they charge more if you buy an $800 helmet.

My first helmet that I bought new (1979?)was maybe 19.99 or 39.99. Fulmer, it's useless tatters protectected my noggin the one time I needed it. I considered surgery on my new (ish) Bell. Find good fabric tape, slice and dice the offending foam, tape it back together, have the tape roll back and stick to my mustache...
$20 for factory, I was ordering a new shield anyway, seemed sensible.

That was my first full-face helmet way back in the late 70's much to the amusement of the local v-twin crowd.

"Look, it's the astronaut!" :laugh:
I had a red leather riding jacket with white shoulders. The Bell Star got a red left side, white middle and blue rightside rattle can paintjob. My wife a little later gave me a Hien Gerricke bike jacket in black with red shoulders.

Just bought a Bell Qualifier which gives me the same cheek compression issues. Removed the check pads and found guess what? Marked 40 mm. Need some 20's for sure! Thanks for raising the point, @KW!
Ha... The Bell website (US) has 'em at $20, but exchange rates, foriegn (it's Canada for fuksake) shipping is not a subject I am qualified to discuss. I am glad that my little missive gave you some new information. Spent a year at Cold Lake Canadian forces air base. Several of the techs in the RADAR Lab were RC aircraft enthusiasts. Every time I returned to LA for company functions, vacations, marriages, etc, the Canadian Forces personell had shopping lists for me. I brought a ton of RC aircraft, motors and radios through customs (no VAT) "for my personal use", ;)

Ha... The Bell website (US) has 'em at $20, but exchange rates, foriegn (it's Canada for fuksake) shipping is not a subject I am qualified to discuss. I am glad that my little missive gave you some new information. Spent a year at Cold Lake Canadian forces air base. Several of the techs in the RADAR Lab were RC aircraft enthusiasts. Every time I returned to LA for company functions, vacations, marriages, etc, the Canadian Forces personell had shopping lists for me. I brought a ton of RC aircraft, motors and radios through customs (no VAT) "for my personal use", ;)
I live within 50 minutes of the border. Order stuff that is sold with free delivery within the US and have it shipped to a storefront package service facility in Malone NY and bring it back myself. If you are not unreasonable, you can generally import stuff without tax or duty, depending on which border crossing you choose. The threshold of reasonableness is subjective but < $200 is usually good to go

I’m in the market for a new helmet. I’m travelling to the US in May and was wondering where is a good place to go shopping for a new lid? My final destination will be the Tail of the Dragon but am flexible on the route there and back. Starting off close to Buffalo. Good shopping spots?

Bought this 3/4 HJC i30 last year..the outer shield does an excellent job of keeping the air off your face..and does equally well in the rain..Also has a internal drop down sun visor..it weighs 3/4s of a pound lighter than my full face Shoei...It works well all.year round and there are no issues with fitment.

Attachments

• 20231015_141953.jpg
    20231015_141953.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Bought this 3/4 HJC i90 last year..the outer shield does an excellent job of keeping the air off your face..and does equally well in the rain..Also has a internal drop down sun visor..it weighs 3/4s of a pound lighter than my full face Shoei...It works well all.year round and there are no issues with fitment.
I was thinking it’s time to get a full face or Modular helmet. I was looking at the HJC I100. Only drawback is it weight. Around 4.25 lbs, close to 1/2 lb more than competitive brands.

I was thinking it’s time to get a full face or Modular helmet. I was looking at the HJC I100. Only drawback is it weight. Around 4.25 lbs, close to 1/2 lb more than competitive brands.
I have neck issues so a full face helmet or a modular are heavier than this open face 3/4 helmet..It works as well as my full face Shoei....

Cycle Gear has a good selection of helmets in stock. It’s especially helpful if your head doesn’t fall into the medium oval category. You should get near one of those places somewhere along the way.

I worked at a Yamaha shop back in the late '70s. We had $10 helmets on the counter for sale. Every now and then we'd had a customer pick one up and say, "Are these $10 helmets any good?" The parts guy would say, "If you got a $10 head." We had one we kept behind the counter, after saying that he'd pick it up and throw it down hard on the tile floor. It would bounce and hit the ceiling. Never cracked. We didn't want to sell them but the owner made us carry them.

Last edited:
I worked at a Yamaha shop back in the late '70s. We had $10 helmets on the counter for sale. Every now and then we'd had a customer pick one up and say, "Are these $10 helmets any good?" The parts guy would say, "If you got a $10 head."
I don't get the safety and ATGATT thing. Motorcycling is not safe. Instead of getting a better helmet, why not stop riding motorcycles and get a SUV. Its much safer.

Back