Help, 1979 xs650 with an attitude

Just Challenger

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been having a problem with my bike. It's a 1979 xs650. I bought it a few months ago. I rode it around for the day and it ran great. Later on, it started to rain and had some problems. Its hasn't idled right and will shut off at lights. It misfires between idle and 2krmp underload. When I ride it then shut it off for a bit and come back to go again it seems to have more of a problem. I've adjusted the valves, replaced the coils, gaped the points, set the timing, cleaned out the carbs but not the jets, replaced the condenser and set the carb fuel screws. The air filters are clean and fuel bowls are getting gas. I wasn't sure if it was a fuel problem or electrical but now I'm thinking its electrical. I have been thinking it was both cylinders having the problem but I took it out the other day and noticed it was just one. Did a compression test after I bought the bike and both were about 120. Just tested it again yesterday and got left-120 right-90. Went again and got left-105 right-110. So I think I can rule out compression. I have a video I took showing the left cylinder either misfiring or backfiring faintly. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Well... I ain't saying it's the problem, but the compression is on the low side. How does it run above 2K?

Pulls nice and strong above 2k. Misfires on acceleration under 2k. Not so bad I cant ride it around but its annoying. Seems like it doesn't want to stay running especially after sitting for an hour.

"Cleaned out the carbs but not the jets" well you should of tried to get something thru the jets they are small. I use metal part of a garbage bag tie for small ones. Best to get a good set of carb brushes (my next purchase). Do you have an exhaust leak? Stock jets? What kind of air filter?

I totally forgot about the jets when I was cleaning them. I don't think I have an exhaust leak, the clicking is from somewhere in the engine. Im not sure about the jets but I'm thinking they are stock. stock air filters.

If you didn't clean the jets then you didn't clean the carbs.

Back