help!! 81xs being a bitch!

nic81xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My bike seems to run great the first time i ride it if it sits for a day or so. it gets hot and i park it and shut it off for 10-15 min. i get back on fires right up idles smooth and nice. i go about 100 yards then it dies, backfires and then starts back up again. goes another hundred yards or so then same thing over and over again till i get home. im baffled seeing as how when i ride the first time of the day it will run great for good long 45min ride. is this a carb issue? Please Help!

Sometimes old components will fail only when they get hot, and that sounds like your problem. Most likely your TCI. Also might be your coil. Could be something else failing when it gets hot, but I'd start there.

To replace a TCI you would have to buy a used one. If it is the TCI, then I would get a Pamco ignition. Tried and true set-up. In the Haynes manual andon here in the search and tech, find out how to test the coils and reg/rec.

What's happening to your bike is also symptoms of failing coils or non-charging system.
As Littlebill31 said:
In the Haynes manual and on here in the search and tech, find out how to test the coils and reg/rec.

awesome just ordered the pamco kit. hopefully this will do the trick. the only good thing about this whole ordeal is that my bike is getting a great tune up and has been threw every nook and cranny. will post some pics soon

I believe in a couple, simple things to do when you get a bike that is 30+ yrs old.
Go through the electric...all of it!!!! And do not hesitate to buy new components if the originals even think about looking at you funny.
These can cost $100, $200, ect, and take time to install, but how much does it cost for a tow, frying all the electric, or worse.
A multi-meter, that is $30, will save your ass.

bill, great post.

some people think that a quick go through of the carb is all these bikes need when they pick them up. and sometimes that may be true, but not for long as all the wires are now heating up and moving around again, its only a matter of time.

so, i installed my pamco kit. very easy install as you all said. tried to start it yesterday before the install just to see if i could get it to the shop to put the pamco in. it made it about a block and died. pushed it home. installed the pamco today still no start. what the hell am i missing? ive gone threw everything on it. charging system has been replaced, ignition system has been replaced. carbs have been jetted and synched, gas cap has been vented, battery test good(tried putting my charger on it...still nothing) the only thing left is my key switch and my kill switch. im so confused

You need to start at the battery and work backwards to see what is getting power and what is not. Jumping around can fry shit, quick.
There are hundreds of threads on here of how to test the reg/rec, ignition, circuits, coils ect. The Haynes manual has the procedure for testing components as well. Start typing keywords into the "search".
Here's one: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2940&highlight=testing+coils

Back