Help a dummy go batteryless with Hugh's PMA

rakehell

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to go batteryless on my 1982 xs650 Heritage Special. I just ordered a complete PMA kit from Hugh and would like some advice on what else I need to make this work properly. i.e. Do i need a pamco if I plan on kick-starting only? Do I need any new harnesses or components?

I am not the most mechanically inclined individual so will be outsourcing the majority of the work; I just want to make sure I have all the necessary components in place before hand.

Hugh's blog gives a guide to fitting the PMA (I'm following that this week) and the wiring is really simple - in fact, I will end up with fewer wires.

Take a look at this blog - just find Hugh's Handbuilt PMA and it takes you straight there.

Anlaf

Pamco is a very popular ignition that works well with the PMA. You will also need a capacitor to run in place of your battery. Sparx makes a popular one for that as well.

You can run your battery as it is, but retroLS1 is absolutely right to point out the Sparx capacitor option (kick only, no battery needed - fantastic) - I have two Sparx in the mail to me now to set up with my Hugh's PMA (one in parallel with the battery) and the second Sparx bolted to the frame as a spare - that's how Hugh has one of his bikes, but we all have different views.
Take your choice PMA with battery (works fine), PMA with capacitor (Sparx - works fine, too, and no need for battery) or PMA with both battery and capacitor.

Anlaf

Dang you guys are quick. All the info is much appreciated.

So as it stands I got the PMA on order from Hugh and will be placing orders for following.

SPARX CAPACITOR
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1695...ttery-eliminator-replaces-lucas-2mc-54170009/

As for the PAMCO IGNITION SYSTEM I assume I will need the complete system (sensor, e-advancer and 60 deg rotor?

Since you have an '82 with (presumably) the factory TCI ignition, you will need a Pamco ignition as well as the advance rod and some other parts (info is available on Pamco's site - yamahaxs650.com - or Mike's XS). You don't NEED the E-advance, but it is a nice feature. I bought the basic Pamco kit because my PO installed points on my '83 so I already had the whole advance rod assembly. Any Pamco kit you buy now will come with the 60 degree rotor which is nice in case you add the E-advance later on (what I plan to do). Pamco is a GREAT company to deal with.

Back