Help again please

Markangels4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need your advice again sorry about this, I took my bike out for a 20 mile ride and on way home it started to cough and splutter I noticed I had had alot of bits of crap in in line filter, replaced filter and stripped and cleaned carbs but now when I’m trying to start just turns over and won’t try and fire, am I missing something obvious
Thanks in advance

Have you checked for spark?

Is there a chance you missed something when cleaning the carbs? If there was dirt in the filter, there's a good chance there was dirt in the carb and some of those passages are REALLY small.

Checked the obvious stuff like ignition switch/kill switch/wiring/connectors?

Have you checked for spark?

Is there a chance you missed something when cleaning the carbs? If there was dirt in the filter, there's a good chance there was dirt in the carb and some of those passages are REALLY small.

Checked the obvious stuff like ignition switch/kill switch/wiring/connectors?
Yes I have spark

If you had some debris in the fuel and now a no-start condition, I'd suspect the choke circuit may have become plugged. Sometimes requires special attention to clear.....
1695128680736.png

If you had some debris in the fuel and now a no-start condition, I'd suspect the choke circuit may have become plugged. Sometimes requires special attention to clear.....
View attachment 251677
Also, if it fires with the choke open then quits or runs on one cylinder, the pilot jet is blocked.

Yes, the choke jet is often overlooked. Being near the bottom of the bowl, if there's any junk in there, when you turn the choke on, it gets sucked in and plugs the jet. Then the choke doesn't work and cold starts are very difficult. It's easy to check .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

..... but not so easy to clean sometimes as it's pressed in and can't be removed. You need to blast it clear with compressed air.

Back