Help me please

Markangels4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need help and advice please, I’ve finished the bobber build and have just started to take bike out on road but my problem is when I accelerate and change gear he revs up as if I have missed a gear but I haven’t, I ease up on the throttle then he is ok, I think I’m missing something obvious with him can anyone suggest any thing. Thanks in advance guys

I would check that the wire runs free perhaps lubricate
Check that the throttle spring pulls it close down at the Carb
Then i would check the idle setting --- setting it lower
Then looking for leaks please do the read up .how it is done perhaps spraying starter fluid on the outside intake manifolds carb boots

The symptoms definitely sound like a slipping clutch like @Jim said above. Find and follow clutch adjustment procedures in the tech section. The clutch gets adjusted in 3 seperate stages. The handle bar clutch lever needs to be slack.The actuator in the left hand housing need to be oriented correctly. Then,the actuator slack adjust (behind the chrome button above the foot shift lever) need to be adjusted to take out the static slack minus 1/8 turn
The cable needs to be routed with the largest diameter curves, the initial cable adjustment need to take out the cable slack and no more, the engine needs to be run up to full temperature (15-20?) miles and the final bit of freeplay removed via the cable adjuster.
Then you should not have over revving.

Last edited:
The symptoms definitely sound like a slipping clutch like @Jim said above. Find and follow clutch adjustment procedures in the tech section. The clutch gets adjusted in 3 seperate stages. The handle bar clutch lever needs to be slack.The actuator in the left hand housing need to be oriented correctly. Then,the actuator slack adjust (behind the chrome button above the foot shift lever) need to be adjusted to take out the static slack minus 1/8 turn
The cable needs to be routed with the largest diameter curves, the initial cable adjustment need to take out the cable slack and no more, the engine needs to be run up to full temperature (15-20?) miles and the final bit of freeplay removed via the cable adjuster.
Then you should not have over revving.
Hi thanks for your advice guys adjusted clutch and no slipping now,

Back