Help..cam chain problem

Booie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys; I may have done something stupid. while I had the jugs off and pistons out I thought this would be a perfect time to put in the new cam chain so I could easily lay the chain on a small anvil to put in the master link, thinking that when I rput things back together I could just slip the cam chain on the sprocket with the bearings off the cam shaft. This is appearing difficult if not impossible. Has anyone done this or will I have to put another master link in!

That's usually what happens, and it shouldn't be a problem. There are many threads on the issue, but here's the solution in a nutshell. The cam chain adjuster tube should be completely removed. Put a bit of pressure on the head--around 8 ftlbs. of torque on the 4 outer studs should be enough--by using a few 1/2" drive sockets or whatever you have on hand as spacers. That should give you the slack you need to work the chain onto the sprocket.

Thanks grizld1. Tensioner is out and I just had 2 head bolts hand tight so I could turn the engine for tdc. I will try the 4 with a little torque and try again. Sorry I did to try and find some threads but I guess I'm not very good at searching.

I should have asked this, but are you using an Athena head gasket? If you are, adding pressure may not give you enough to work a joined chain on; those things are ~.017" thicker than OE. If so you might think about using a Vesrah or Ottoco gasket instead.

Booie, you might have to turn the cam to work the chain on. This will also turn your engine but once it's on there should be enough slack before you put the bearings back on to get everything aligned. Just take your time and work it slowly or the cam can pinch the chain between the gear and the wall of the channel.

Thanks Wingedwheel. I am a little less freaked out now after hearing from you guys and finally finding a couple other threads on the subject. Tomorrow I will suck the head down a little more and try again. Morning is always better for patience!

You might be ok with the two bolts you have on there, just remember that chain is very rigid and doesn't bend side to side. That's probably why you're having difficulty. Keep us posted

Back